Reload this Page >

Miami hotel for pre cruise stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Cheryl

We are flying into Miami the evening prior to departure on our cruise. I have read some comments regarding cleanliness/smoke/noise problems at several Miami hotels. We have reservations at La Quinta near the airport. Does anyone have recent experience at this hotel? I have always found La Quinta to be clean, nothing fancy, but no complaints. It is beginning to seem, from all the negative comments, that all Miami hotels near the hotel are dumps. Any recommendations for a clean and reasonably priced hotel near the airport ot the pier? Thanks.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Statia

We used Baymont and Sleep Inn the last couple of trips. No problems there. Last fall they were totally renovating the Quality Hotel, so you might want to give that a try, as well...if it's finished.<BR><BR>Can't comment on La Quinta...haven't stayed there.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:29 AM
xxx

We're booked into the Wyndham at Miami Int'l Airport for an August Carnival cruise. Haven't stayed there before, but was told that it is clean and Carnival uses it for their guests and they also have a Carnival desk there. Got an AAA rate of $69 through travelhero.com.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:00 AM
linda

Had bad experiences pre and post cruise because I was looking for bargains! Most of those near the airport looked pretty bad, IMO. The days Inn is a TOTAL dump. The Marriott by the pier is nice- however, we couldn't get a good deal there.It was 179 or in that range.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Statia

I just rememberd that the Doubletree at MIA has been decent, too, when I've stayed there. However, it wasn't nearly as nice as other Doubletree properties I've been at. Maybe it's just a Miami thing?<BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Professional Traveler

Hotel MIA, in the terminal, is as good and clean as any. Connections to/from flights and ship transfers are easy as pie. Plus they have an outdoor running track on the roof. Rates are in the $135 a night area.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Cathy

I haven't stayed at an airport hotel in Miami in years. The last time I did, the hotel was nice, but the area was very run down and dangerous looking. As a matter of fact, the hotel desk clerk advised me not to go out at night alone. <BR><BR>On my last few cruises out of Miami, I have stayed in South Beach and enjoyed it. The hotels there can be very expensive, but alot depends on what time of the year you are going and what is going on in Miami at the time. Also, to get the best room rates, you need to reserve months in advance, because the hotels are very popular and fill up quickly.<BR><BR>If you are cruising in the fall, you will probably get got rates at the Beach hotels. I have used the online discount hotel sites like hotels.com (I think that is what it is). My favorite hotel in the South Beach area is the Loew's Miami Beach. Very nice, clean. We got a deal for a room for $150 a night. (normally rooms are $375+). My sister - in-law and I shared the room so it came out to be $75 a person. Another hotel I stayed at near the Loew's is the Doubletree Surfcomber. Not as nice, but clean. I cruised with two other friends and we were able to get a room for $119 a night. But the hotel messed up our reservation and gave us two rooms for no extra charge! So it worked out for $45 for each of us, including tax!<BR>Both hotels are right on the beach, which is great way to start a vacation. Both hotels are near(very short walk) Lincoln Road Mall, which is really a street with a lot of shops and eateries, including fast food places if you don't want to spend lots of money for a meal.<BR><BR>Both hotels are also within walking distance of Ocean Drive and the whole South Beach scene - yet far enough away from the noise and partying. You can stay in the heart of South Beach in hotels that are around $75 a night, but these are usually old Art Deco hotels. The biggest problem with these will be the street noise and the party scene.<BR><BR>I liked staying on the beach - I love shopping and eating out in Cuban restaurants and listing and dancing to the live Salsa on Ocean drive! If you get up early enough on Sunday Morning, you can watch the cruise ships come in in the distance to the port of Miami while you relax on the beach.<BR><BR>Good luck with you hotel decision.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Don

Check out the Eden Roc on 44th st and collins not far from south beach, they are having a special now for $89 a night because of renovations. Look at the Marriott website for info.