Is it worth it? Inside or Outside?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys: Need opinions. Taking my friend whose 30 (& mother of 4 ) on a quick cruise to ease the stress. AAA member and was quoted a 350.00per inside cabin for Sensation (chrgs. included). Agent said for $50.00 more w/could do outsd. cbn. Expedia has the same cruise for $279. Do you think price was quoted without txs & other chrgs? This cruise only has one port, Cozemel. Is there enough to do on the ship 2days at sea?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Pay the extra $50.00 for outside cabin. Don't know about Expedia quotes. I was just pricing a 7 day cruise for four and the port charges and taxes were almost $600.00 in addition to the cruise price. I was very surprised they were that much. I enjoy the sea days as much or more than days in port. I'd think a mother with four young children would love to just relax by the pool with a drink and a book!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Paige:

You hit the nail on the head, my girl loves a good book, and a little r&r but, she's got a little adventure in her soul. I hear that the ship may have comedians, 70's themed party's & a pajama jam. I don't know if she'll want to get involved in those activities, that's why I pondered about 2 days at sea & 1 day long port. I'll splurge the xtra $50.00 for outside cbn. Really makes a differene huh? Thanks.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I think you would love an outside cabin. As one cruise rep said, "You have a window in your bedroom, right? Why not on your cruise."

For me, the lack of natural light drives my psycho. You wake up and don't know if it is 3am, 10am, or 2pm.

For the shorter cruises (2 or 3 days) and inside is not bad, but 4 or more, have to go with an outside. I just gulp and pay the difference.

With Expedia, unless you went all the way to the end of a price quote, it probably did not include all taxes. Most agents include all taxes, govt fees, and some include insurance. So you really aren't comparing apples to apples.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM
esd

First, remember these are all opinions, including mine.
I don't care for AAA. We were working in FL a few years ago, they advertised a 'cruise to nowhere', we'd never been on a cruise, took the plunge and got hooked forever. And by the way, it was the Sensation! Found out we paid a "little more" than most others but it was not really expensive anyway so the difference wasn't much. BUT when I went to book our next cruise, AAA was more expensive than a TA AND a couple of web-sites that I looked on. That's not to say that in this case they don't have the best deal, but I would certainly look at some other(s) prices.
Know the date and category so you can get an accurate check.

Our first 3 cruises were outside cabins and we've since had 2 inside cabins. Never used the window for looking out (double glass and not real clear anyway) so being inside was no problem. I worried over it from booking to sailing and found out it was fine!! I know I would much rather be inside on an upper deck than outside on a lower. Whenever we've gone down to a lower deck to disembark at ports, I feel like I've gone into the dungeons!! All cabins and mazes of them it seems!

Next week we leave for an Alaskan cruise and we have a balcony..a first. I hope I'm not 'ruined'! I also hope it's not too cold to enjoy it.

When I was 30 and a mother of 3, I sure could have used a friend like you!!
I hope it all works out..I know you'll have a great time!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi esd:

Hmmn, inside on the upper level (I learn something new each time I check in for a trip lol). This is my friends 1st experience (she wants to someday do Disney/Cruise w/kids) and I haven't done a cruise since I was a child so...I've called Liberty & prices were $20.00 more than AAA for same dates.

I'll check Orbitz...Travelocity didn't even have the Sensation in the lineup, but a similiar boat Imagination same dates, & 2 ports. I'm leaning hard towards Sensation though, will make up my mind & book by in 48hrs. Thanks for your input it's appreciated.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:19 PM

We always go for the inside cabin. We are only in the room long enough to sleep and change - the porthole isn't like sitting and viewing out of lovely picture window - unless you really spring for an outside. Now Alaska, I would totally spring for it! We love the good sleep we get with such darkness!
There are so many great vantage points through out the ships to relax and really enjoy the view, I wouldn't do it in my room.
- Just my 2 cents!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:05 PM

oooh, you are going to be spoiled with balcony! Alaska was so gorgeous I could cruise it 3 times a year!

I had a balcony in Alaska and spent 4 hours a day just lounging on it. I think the itinerary is important, but in a place like Alaska, you don't spend much time in the room if the room is not worth spending much time in.

I would get a breakfast from the buffet and bring it up for the four of us and eat on the balcony. And instead of crowding around for glacier viewing with 2500 of my closest friends, it was 4 of us.

Caribbean itineraries aren't that great for balconies, but I would still say an outside cabin.

It depends on if you are a cabin snob (me and my sis), are budget minded, or just laid back and wanna cruise.

Comes down to personal preference.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:19 PM

I'll be leaving on my first cruise this October. My GF insisted on outside cabin - she doesn't like the closed in feelign of walking through all the inside halls to reach the room (oddly enough.... she refuses to stay in hotels or motels with outside doors on the rooms - wants inside access only!).

I have no personal experience but I like the notion of being able to see some light and dark for a notion of time of day when I look. We opted for an obstructed view outside cabin (there's a lifeboat or something that partially blocks the view). It was not much more than an inside cabin. I'm the restless and adventurous type and she's not - the jury is out on how much I'll enjoy cruising.

I'm a diver and spent a week in Coz last winter - will also be there for a day on this trip. If you want some hints and tips on Coz - e.g. a few cool funky little out of the way places to eat or good people to dive with - email me direct

phaelon56 at yahoo dot com
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:40 AM

Travelagent:

"Caribbean itineraries aren't that great for balconies, but I would still say an outside cabin."

I don't agree with that statement, the weather is sooo beautiful in the Carib, that it's great being out on your balcony while the ship is cruising through the sunshine and blue foam.

As they say, to each his own.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I disagree with Frank. After being upgraded to a balcony on a Caribbean cruise, my husband and I are now addicted to them. I thought the view was great and relaxing. Would have a hard time going back to a window.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:40 PM

beachdreams: Read a little more closely, you actually agree with me, I was quoting travelagent's comments made earlier in the thread.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:49 PM

When we had an outside cabin, we had a large window--with a view of lots of ocean when we were moving, and the guys owrking on the dock when we were in port. I wouldn't bother with that again.

On the other hand, we LOVED having a balcony. Had breakfast delivered every morning and ate on the balacony. Bought a bottle of rum punch and had a drink on the balcony every evening.

We like to stay as low and close to the center of the ship as we can, as my DH is prone to motion sickness.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Owen,
I hope your GF realizes that she'll be walking through the same inside halls to reach an outside cabin as she would an inside cabin. I don't know which ship you're on, but aside from some smaller expedition vessels, I don't know of any cruise ships that have cabin doors facing an outside deck. Most of the time the inside cabin doors are just opposite the outside cabin doors along the same hallway. I do agree about the daylight though.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM

I've seen a lot of replies about cabin upgrades. Does that happen a lot and what determines whether or not you get updgraded.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys:

Thanks for all the feedback on inside & outside! Can you believe after all your input I went to AAA today and booked the rooms for $350 a shot (insurance & chargs incl.) + got an upgrade to a "outside" room anyway!

Catch was there weren't rooms in the middle of the ship left so we're bunking towards the front three levels from the bottom (lol).

Thanks for your input. Bon Voyage!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I always go to icruise.com for info on the cruises and the pricing. They have good rates and alot of information. We do use a travel agent and she usually can match any prices we come up with elsewhere. I'm spoiled also, I need a balcony!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Patty - My GF has been on four cruises prior to this and seems to know what she wants (not to mention that it's her money as I paid for the Cozumel trip last winter and she offered to pick up the tab for this one). Don't worry.... even if the room access is not to her liking it was her choice and I don't have to bear the brunt of complaint ;-)
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Owen,
If you ask my husband, he'd probably tell you that's the reason he has me do all of the travel planning - no one else to blame

BTW are you the same Owen that was on the Caribbean board a while back that I recommended Belize to?
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Hey.... that's me! I had an absolutely fantastic time in Belize. Flew into Belize City, took a puddle jumper to Flores for a 1 1/2 day visit to Tikal Park and then made my way back by shuttle, taxi and public bus to Caves branch for two incredible days of caving. I finished up with five days on Caye Caulker and got recertified for scuba. All in all a fantastic trip and I hope to return. Can't go with this GF as she is phobic about bugs, needs a clean Western style room when she travels etc (Belize is definitely not for her but I loved it). Belize is fantastic and I'll likely go back for a solo trip to better explore the mainland. I loved Caye Caulker but the diving was so incredible on Cozumel (did my advanced diving certification there last winter) that I'll save the dive travel budget for Coz.

By the way... I think that's in part why the GF has ME doing all the travel planning but the cruise is her idea so I'm figuring out a few things but the bulk of it is on her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -