Ideas on something special to bring back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going on a 7 day cruise on Jan 06 to the caribbean. Our ports of call are:
- San Juan
- St. Maarten
- Roseau, Dominica
- St. Lucia
- Margarita Island, Venezuela
- Aruba

In the past we have brought back two bottles of Rum from each island, but we still have all the rum from the last cruise. Is there something special from each island that we should look for in the sense of wines or spirits? For example, when I was in Ireland I only brought back one thing, and that was the best bottle of Irish wiskey I could afford.

Also, and suggestion for the best place to get Cuban cigars that are the best quality and price

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM

We generally try to find some sort of original craft piece or a print by a local artist to remind us of our travels.

Just a heads-up, it's illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the US. If you want to smoke 'em onboard, St. Maarten might be a good bet.

Linda Coffman
Author, Fodor's The Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM

I too like to bring back something original from my travels. One bathroom in the house has a wall of "houses" that I've brought back from trips.

From St. Maarten, there is a fantastic Belgan chocolate shop. It's on one of the side streets running from the main shopping street in Philipsburg.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM

For a special anniversary cruise we decided to make a "memory quilt"..At each spot we found several t-shirts.. and there certainly are colorful ones out there.. We will have a quilt made of all the destnations from our last cruise from Barcelona, Tuscany, Ft. lauderdale, Nassau, London, etc. etc. We have a liquor cabinet full of rum and Kalhua.. not to mention all sorts of local crafts.. Our only other souveniers are from the art auctions.. The idea of the memory quilt came from a suggestion of a friend who when she saw all my parrot shirts from 1988 to present even before I became a parrot mom...and they do include Aruba, St.lucia and every place else we have gone in thr past 20 years.. Parrot Pop just had a quilt made of Red Sox t-shirts...great souvenier....from Ted Williams to Manny
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM

Buy a CD from all the musicians on the cruise. They will be eternally grateful.

LindaSparrow
The Cruise Cheapskate
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM

You didnt actually say you'd be bringing them back, but you did ask about where to buy cuban cigars.

You cannot legally bring them back into the US. If you purchase any you have to smoke them there or on the ship, but DONT try to bring them back through customs.

Also, while I'm no cigar expert I do know that there are a lot of fake cuban cigars sold in these ports. Perhaps others can give you directions to shops where you can get the real thing.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Are inert:
Many returning from shopping at the port of Margarita Island in Nov., had some very nice looking pearls. Inexpensive necklaces, etc.

I thought the vendors there were very nice and accomodating to make unique/original pieces or to enlarge/longer if needed. I bought a nice set that included earrings with the necklace, BUT I don't have pierced ears so they let me substitute a bracelet instead.

FYI: If you are looking for a place to phone home--go into the same building at the port and go to the vendor on the end at the left---you can buy phone cards there. Just don't wait until you are about to sail like I did---they had sold out of the cards!!

Enjoy your cruise!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM

In my family we love to eat and drink ! In St.Lucia or taxi driver Jackson of Phillip Tours St.Lucia recommended we try the St.Lucian hot sauce called BARON. It's made in St.Lucia and has a nice peppery taste which is also not too spicy. We also loved the locally made PITON beer.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM

With all of that alcohol sitting around your house unconsumed, apparently what you need to bring back is a bartender to make some drinks for you.

As to Cuban cigars, beware of rip-offs. If the price is too low and the cigars aren't stored in a climate-controlled humidor, don't buy them--they're fake. Yes, even if they're in a real Cohiba box...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM

hi, the port that Cruiser was talking about is called El Guamache Port.

You can do these sorts of thing at the port beach. You can use jet skis, paddle boats, bannana boats and use the shaded lawn chairs there and have a drink too if you please.

Also you can swim at this beach and many tourists coming off the Ships usually do. Also there are about 150 booths with customs made crafts and jewelery so there is plenty of shopping to be done.

My friend Kris works there at the port she is American as well. Origianlly from Cali. This is what she wrote in to describe El Guamache and I think it would add to this Forum.

I can tell that this is going to be a long post. My mother and I make jewelry with semi-precious stones, pearls and crystals. There are more jewelry vendors than anything else I think. Half of them buy their jewelry to resell and others handmake their things. There are booths right up front that are off to the side that are artisians that handmake everything they sell and are given extra attention. They switch out the vendors every so often to bring other artisians in.

I believe Murano glass is sold here. There is a building right up front that has a few stores in it. Go in there, and you'll find a store that sells glass. There are other vendors that sell other glass figurines (not Murano) and one lady even makes jewelry with glass pieces that she makes, too. She speaks English.

There was a guy last year who made leather items, but I'm not sure that he is there this year. Yesterday was our first day of the season, and I didn't see him. He made belts and fitted them to you while you waited. He had wallets and purses, too.

There are lots of ceramics and pottery. There is one lady who hand paints pottery that is made here on the island. The island is known for pottery. She paints hibiscus and other flowers in bright colors on her things. They are beautiful. She's closer to the end of the row under a big awning that is near the second bar I think it's booth #80. She speaks perfect english. There are several people who make Negritas, which are clay black women figurines in folk/tropical dresses carrying plates of fruit and veggies. The island is very popular for that.

Hammocks are made on the island, so you can get a really nice one for a decent price. I know of a booth that sells those. They are about 2/3 of the way down the avenue.

About 1/3 of the way down is a booth that sells handmade woven baskets. Some are collapsable, so you can pack them in your suitcase. They also have simple folk whistles and things that kids like a lot.

There is one guy who makes handmade cigars. I heard many men try his cigars and say that it was top quality. He sells individual cigars, too, so you can try one right there and decide if you want more. Some high government men come to the island to buy his cigars, so I guess they must be pretty good. He is up front with the artisian group. He speaks english.

Pearls are our specialty. Yes, the prices are correct and the quality is good. Many people think that because the prices are so low that they aren't real. They are. You can buy a lower quality strand of pearls for $6. Then there are higher qualities that go up from there. A good strand of pearls will cost you about $15-$20. There are lots of hematite jewelry, too. You can get those pretty cheap.

There are many booths that sell caps, beach towels, bags, sarongs, t-shirts, etc. There is one couple that sells handpainted t-shirts. They are about half way down the avenue. There is also another guy towards the end near the second bar. He paints nice, too. They both speak perfect english.

There is a saxophonist who plays his music and sells CD's. There is a guy who carves stone figurines. He speaks english.

I think I said most of what sells out there. I'm trying to remember. Oh! Beer, wine, vodka, and rum are sold at a store in the building at the front of the port. They also sell rum at either bar. I hope that helps. From what I have seen the people who handmake their items have their prices down pretty low. You MIGHT be able to get them to go lower, but it's doubtful. It's the people who buy items to resell out there that you can bargain with. They are more flexible. It used to be where everything that was sold out there had to be handmade, so most of the artisians have been selling there for years. They have learned to keep their prices low. So, keep your eye out. If it looks like the item can be sold at a better price, then ask. If the price seems fare, then that's probably their lowest price. A new rule we have this year is that everything has to be priced. Yeah! Have fun, and remember to stay in the shade!

hope this helps
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM

When I was teaching, I brought back coins of different countries for my students. The square dimes they used to have in Nassau were neat. And I could bring something back for eveyone and very affordable. We also get bills. Pictures and colors are beautiful and its says where it comes from! Also try to get local art work, etc.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Just a note about the Murano glass.. there is/was a village in the mountains of VZ (we were there years ago) that had the same quality sand for the glass and there is a factory there..I have a piece here at home.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I also seem to remember visiting a Murano Glass factory right inside Curacus, VZ.

Wasn't that impressed, but I had just been to Venice, Italy and loved their factories and stores of Murano glass.

-----
I also like to bring home Christmas tree ornaments from foreign countries.
-------
HINT: Place a large sheet of bubble wrap in the bottom of your luggage to bring home breakable items. If you don't end up buying those fragile items, at least the bubble wrap didn't add any additional weight. I just keep it in my suitcase and reuse it when needed!!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:45 AM

San Juan is great for booze at port duty free store. Visit the Bacardi rum factory. Use the 75 cent round trip ferry at pier 2 and a cab to get to the rum factory.
Do not have high expectations on French Islands.
Margarita, a great place, contact www.casatrudel.com for a great private tour for up 4. Pearls are a great buy here. No need to change money for one day. Only way to get rid of Balboas is spend them.
Aruba is great but not cheap, has great snorkeling.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:21 AM

For Pearls and gorgeous necklaces....try La Aldea. It's a part of all major cruise ships Itinerary's as one of the places to stop at with varied shops where souvenirs and many other items are for sale. Especially pearls ! It's a wonderful place with parrots and beautiful handcrafted Jewelry.

Here is a link and this site has photos of this place and of some of the jewelry too.
http://www.margaritaislandvacation.i...rts_Center.htm