Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Hubbard Glacier/College Fjord v. Glacier Bay

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Russ

I am planning an Alaska cruise north from Vancouver, B.C., to Seward, Alaska. Celebrity Cruises are supposed to be outstanding, but they do not go to Glacier Bay -- they take you to Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord. Is missing Glacier Bay a big miss, or is either great? What are the pros and cons of seeing one but not the other area? I have never been to Alaska before.<BR>Which lines are the best?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Sandra

Russ,<BR>We went on a Princess cruise to Alaska a few years ago and they went to Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay. It was fabulous. For one thing, you sail past some of the highest mountains in Alaska going to Yakutat Bay where the glacier is. Secondly, the sun was shining and the ice was the most amazing shade of blue. third of all, we were the only ship there, and our captain went in very close to glacier, where we were able to hear and feel the calving -- CRACK! BOOM! It was great. Some people who had been to Glacier Bay said that Hubbard Glacier was better, but I have to believe that the three elements combines to give an extraordinary experience.<BR><BR>Celebrity Cruises are, as a rule, pretty wonderful. The food is fantastic and there is no loud music playing everywhere as on some other ships, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, in particular. BUT there is no promenade deck, and I feel that the ourside space is limited. Holland America Line's ships all have wonderful promenade decks, and they have been sailing in Alaska longer than any other cruise line. Princess has beautiful large ships, and they offer Personal Choice cruising as does Norwegian with their Freestyle cruising. <BR><BR>If money is not an issue, I would go with Radisson Seven Seas Cruises. It's the best value afloat, with complimentary wine and bar setup in your room, all non-alcoholic beverages are included and there is no tipping! And Crystal Cruises offers cruises round trip out of San Francisco, which is wonderful, and their ships are gorgeous, with some of the best food and service around.<BR><BR>Lots of choices. It all depends on what is important to you!

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SANDRA--- hope you read this--<BR><BR>Planning Alaskian cruise and at this point of picking ship biggest choice is: HUBBARD GLACIER or GLACIER BAY<BR><BR>You said Hubbard was better that you hear people say. WHY???? Am leaning towards Hubbard but want to feel I made best decision. Know both are awesome.<BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russ- I am leaning towards Celebrity (Summit) for July. Which ship are you planning?