glacier bay vs tracy arm

Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

glacier bay vs tracy arm

the princess cruise i am looking to book does not go to glacier bay or college fiord. it goes to tracy arm will it be similar to glacier bay? also will June 16th be a good time to go. thanks in advance for the info
Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM

In my opinion, Tracy Arm is not equivalent to Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is lovely but you cruise up to the glacier at the end and that is it. Glacier Bay has many more glaciers and more variety of wildlife.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM

Totally different. Actually Tracy Arm, can have more wildlife than Glacier Bay, but you need to be very on top of looking for yourself and a good pair of binoculars are a must.

Tracy Arm is a narrow 30 mile fjords and there are 2 glaciers at the end, not one as mentioned above. MOST ships do not get within view of them as they time out and start sailing out.

In my opinion, Princess's Seattle itineraries are lacking. NCL is the winner with Tracy Arm as they have an add on jet boat tour, that is spectacular and far superior for wildlife and closer extended glacier viewing.

Be prepared for no glacier view, and plan on other glacier tours during your week, if you continue with this glacier selection and Princess.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM

Depends on tour. Do a one way from whittier to vancouver and princess does go through glacier bay, as we just did it. Wonderful cruise!
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Went to Alaska with NCL first week of June. Weather was in high 60's and low 70's which I like . Easier and more comfotable when sight seeing. Not too hot. We took the NCL cruise ship that did Sawyer Glacer. Best, best cruise. The slow trip down the fiord on the ship was amazing. We stopped at the base of the glacier and were surrounded by small ice flows and seals giving birth to their pups. A real goosebump moment. The glacier was so close I couldn't believe it. It calved and the sight was awesome. Then the ship pivots and sails back down the fiord. Would highly recommend a Sawyer Glacier cruise.