Help room suggestions. . interior vs oceanview

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i haven't been on a carnival cruise for about 10 years. Back then i was still in high school and went on this trip with my parents and sister. It was on the imagination back then. We had an interior room and i don't remember ever having a problem with an interior. well we are booked on the triumph for march 15th of next year... i will be with my husband and wondering if anyone could help me decide whether to just keep the interior we have booked or go for an oceanview? we would love a balcony but that would be way to pricey for us. an oceanview will only be about 240 exra total for both of us. please if anyone has any advice let me know. we will be going with my parents and my sister and her husband.. they have interiors booked. i'm in the mood for a change but will do an interior if it isn't worth an oceanview. my husbands the pickey one. . LOL
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

We met some people on our cruise who had an inside stateroom. They didn't mind it, but they said they didn't like waking up and not know whether it was day or night, no sense of time unless you look at a clock.

We just had our first cruise and the oceanview was the same price as balcony. We were so glad we did. We slept with the door open and listened to the waves. Lulled us to sleep. When we woke up to the sunrise, we would get up and go out and see what new port we were coming into. It was our favorite time of day. I think the balcony view has us spoiled and I don't think I could go for anything else.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM

I would get either interior or balcony - don't think oceanview is worth it.

As with previous poster, we had balcony on Century Celebrity in February. I am now totally spoiled and could not imagine not having a balcony. In fact, I might be willing to cut down on drinks, excursions, and other on-board expenses just to have a balcony. However, if your family all had inside cabins, you would likely get some grief if you booked a balcony - or it would get very crowded with the entire group trying to fit on your balcony.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

<However, if your family all had inside cabins, you would likely get some grief if you booked a balcony - or it would get very crowded with the entire group trying to fit on your balcony.>

LOL!!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM

You know it's true - if they are like many families, they would think she was a snob for wanting a balcony and then spend more time in her cabin on her balcony than in their own cabins.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

ok i will just keep the interior room we have now. thanks for the reply's
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM

Sorry to disagree but if you can't get a balcony then pop for the OV. Its worth it IMHO.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM

I am also willing to give up a couple of extra's to have a room with a balcony. And as for the room with no view, NO WAY. Our housekeeper let us see one while on our last cruise, it was small and creepy. No window and the bathroom had a stand up shower like a telephone booth.

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM

I'm with those who would either spring for the balcony or keep the interior. A window is totally not worth it to me.

I've had probably 3 interiors and 7 balconies in my cruises ---- if there were any possible way, I'd find a way to pay for the balcony. But that's just me.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM

Having had inside, ocean view and balcony over the years I can appreciate all points of view. Personally, I can go on two cruises (interior) for what you pay for a balcony... so I choose interior and get twice the cruising!

One thought that might help, we have done family outings where everyone gets an inside and one couple gets a balcony...then we share it. Since no-one uses the balcony all the time we just schedule times for each family to use that room and enjoy the nice balcony.

Whatever you choose... have a GREAT time!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM

It looks like you've already made your decision, but I'll put my 2 cents worth in anyway.

Where are you cruising? What do you plan to be doing during the daylight hours? Do you think you'll be spending much time in your cabin?

My husband and I cruised in the far north during the summer and were happy to have an inside cabin as it didn't get dark until around midnight, so the darkeness of the cabin was welcome. Our days were spent out of our cabin - and would have been even if we'd had a luxury suite - so we were happy with our choice.

We went on a Yangtze River cruise and had great windows in our cabin but spent very little time in it since we spent a lot of time on the top deck watching the scenery or down in the lounge area learning to play Mahjong with the crew.

We also went on a Rhine River Cruise and had a wonderful room with a sliding door and a French balcony. This time we spent lots of time lying on our bed with the slider opened, watching the beautiful countryside pass by and enjoying the breeze.

So -- it really depends on how you think you'll spend your days and where you are going to decide whether the upgrade is worth it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

We are taking an eastern caribbean cruise, to puerto rico, st thomas and the bahamas. I don't remember using our room much except for changing and sleeping on our last cruise. my husband is the one i'm worried about even though he says he doesn't care. this is his first cruise which he isn't thrilled about.. he is more of a one resort kind of person but my parents are paying for this and i love cruises so he is going for me. he is a computer person so will have to work some of the time . . so just wanting a nice place for him to work. . i told him there are plenty of better places to go on the ship to work if he needs too. We are just going to keep the interior. Thanks for everyones opinion. I will most definelty save up so i can get a balcony next time around.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM

On cruisecritic.com, I recall someone who had an inside room said to bring a nightlight because, as msdotliz said, there is no sense of day or night unless you look at a clock.
However, I remember one poster on cruisecritic saying that they set the TV to view from the ship’s video because it would be dark at night and gradually light up as the morning sun rose.

Also on cruisecritic, they said the balcony doors do not stay open without propping them. They are made that way so the air condition system works properly.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM

<Also on cruisecritic, they said the balcony doors do not stay open without propping them. They are made that way so the air condition system works properly.>

Ours stayed open without propping. We slept with the balcony open - it was cool at night and the sounds of the waves really lulled us to sleep.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM

"balcony doors do not stay open without propping "

I guess it depends on the cruise line.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I had an interior room once, never again. I found it very claustophobic without natural sunlight. I would make sacrifices if possible and book a balcony room. If this isn't possible at least get an oceanview.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM

We took a quick look at an inside cabin when someone opened their door. So glad we didn't book one. I would also hate to pay for an oceanview and get an obstructed view, especially when they are the same price as a non-obstructed view.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

my main concern is we would like to be near the rest of our group who has interiors booked.. if they get upgraded they might be a floor or 2 above us. . as the triump only has oceanview on the bottom 2 decks. . so that is another thing i'm worried about. we haven't changed our room yet so still have an interior booked. . thanks for all the input. . keep it coming.

I have stayed in 2 interiors but don't remember much or anything as it was with my parents and sister about 12 years ago was the last cruise i have been on.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

ok it was driving me nuts trying to decide on this.. . I just officially changed our room to an oceanview. i'm sure i will still go back and forth but this is what i really wanted so I changed it. . now i can't wait for march to come.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

has anyone sailed on the triumph recently to let me know how the oceanview rooms are? we are booked in 1295 on the rivera deck. . are the sofas comfortable for sitting on? and i belive that is midship so how is the movement in the middle of the ship on the lower levels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -