Help me pick a cruise cabin

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pick a cruise cabin

Hi all. We are trying to pick a cabin on a cruise ship. We are going on the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska and want a balcony with an adjacent interior.

If the ship has levels 4 (lowest) to 15 (highest), what about level 9? Are there advantages of going higher?
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Because my husband has a tendency towards motion sickness, we prefer to be as low and midships as possible.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Midships, as mentioned above, is always a good choice. Check the floor plans to see what is above and below you - you don't want to be over the theatre or a disco, or under the pool (you may well hear chairs and tables scraping the floor as they clean at night).

I like to be near the elevators/stairs for easy access to other floors (and I've never found the elevators to be noisy).

I wouldn't go too high - I'd rather be closer to the main activity levels of the ship - a few levels away. I'm not familiar with that particular ship.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I checked the floor plan, and the mid-ship room I tentatively picked is 3 levels below the gym - is that far down enough not to hear the treadmills, etc?
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Yes, Karen. I'd only be concerned about being immediately above or below a public space. I'd want to put one deck of sound-absorption between me and the noise. I'm sure you will be fine. I've done lots of cruises but never Alaska. Be sure and report back on your trip.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM

mid ship, away from the smoke stack (the empty space where you thought there would be elevators but not), not close to any public "outside" doors or hallways, away from the entertainment rooms, not directly below the stage of the show room ...

The noise isolations and the stablizers are generally pretty good these days so there should not be any "bad" cabins.

Just remember that the more expensive cabins of a certian categories (inside, outside, etc)are more expensive for a reason. Otherwise, why would they charge certain outside cabins a much higher rate than some other less desirable outside cabins?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM

You also want a port side, IF You only want your Glacier Bay day, viewing from your cabin. All the commentary and "stops" are on that side.

The motion sickness comment is a good point. You have chosen the roughest sailing potential itinerary. So expect at least one day of rough seas. I see ill passengers on every Alaska cruise. Way too many have the "smooth as glass myth".
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM

Ginger pills works for sea sickness.
Mid ship, lower deck, feel less motion.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM

If motion sickness is a concern you can get OTC drugs B4 you go such as Bonine. You may want to consider getting promethazine (Phenergan) from your MD B4 you go. A small dose worked quite well for my wife and it didn't make her too sleepy. Its available generically too so it shouldn't be too costly. We got it on the TP in 2006 from the ships MD. She told us the patch is no longer used due to SE's.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

BQ _why is this the roughest itinerary?

Which would have been better?

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Hi. I'll be going on an Alaskan Cruise in a couple of weeks. My family and I like the balcony rooms. Since I'm on a different cruise line, it's hard to know where your pros and cons on other ships are located. My advice for the motion sickness from the others is the doctor's prescription seasick patch that you put behind the ear. It doesn't hurt to bring along Dramamine as well. I know. I get seasick and I need that patch.