Hawaii

Feb 29th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Hawaii

Hello all,
We are almost ready for our cruise May 2/08 ---- 12 days hawaii islands then back to Vancouver. I would love some advise or insight to some questions I have.

1. From our hotel, we'll take a taxi to the pier. When our luggage is unloaded from the taxi, how far do we lug our luggage or is the luggage drop-off area for luggage close to where the taxi will drop us off?

2. Are Porters avaialble to help with luggage if we require it?

3. Should we book our own excursions or book through the ship?

4. If we booked oon our own, should we wait until we get off the ship at the various ports?

5. Are tour agencys kiosks close to the piers at each port?

6. I found lots of info about Carnival Spirit, does anyone have any personnal comments about the ship that may prove valuable to us?

Thanx,
Richard
Feb 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM

By far, in Hawaii a car rental in ports is one of the best, and cheapest options. So much of Hawaii is natural beauty that you just drive to. All ports have rental car shuttles.

What is your itinerary?? And have you any interests for Hawaii??

No, I never recommend not having plans prior to going. If your plan is a dockside vender, do your homework before you go on what is available. Don't waste any time in port deciding what to do.
Feb 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi there... thanx for the reply. here's my itinerary:

Honolulu, HI ;
Honolulu, HI ;
Kauai (Nawiliwili),
HI ; Kona, HI ;
Hilo, HI ;
Maui (Lahaina), HI ;
Maui (Lahaina), HI ; Vancouver, BC, Canada

Any idea about the other questions I had?

Richard
Mar 1st, 2008, 05:34 AM

My experience has been that the taxis drop you and your luggage off, and the porters are right there to take your luggage from you. They should be already tagged with your stateroom luggage tags.

If you are an adventurist, do the tours on your own. Research the islands ahead of time, and rent a car and wander about. It's much cheaper than taking taxis to/from some of the great beaches on the islands.
Mar 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM

What are your priorities for touring?? Natural beauty, beach, snorkle etc etc.

Out of Kona, consider the rental car from the King Kam Hotel, at the tender dock and drive to Place of Refuge, coffee tours along the way. Snorkleing is just fantastic at the public beach next to Place of Refuge.

In Kauai, definately consider a car and getting your self to Waimai Canyons, far superior to the tours. Stop off for a look at the Blowhole and a beach/snorkle stop at Poipu.

Head to your library and get the Fodor's Hawaii book, excellent source of information.

Maui, conside the volcano drive and Road to Hana.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM

1. We didn't have to struggle with luggage at all, but we arrived by bus. This was in Vancouver, Holland America ship.

3. We made all our own arrangements, but you can read my entire trip report where I talk about how this didn't turn out well for us in Kona.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35031759

4. We prebooked everything.
Mar 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies.

Our priorities are beaches/historical sites while in hawaii. Thank you for the suggestions and I'll pre-book plans prior to going.

Rich
Mar 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM

We did a 7 day NCL Hawaiian island cruise 2 years ag...fabulous...when in Maui you should do the road to hana...the journey is amazing...my husband took care of car rentals at all the ports on line before we even left New York...because you do want to driving...it is an absolutely beautiful place.
Mar 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM

We've never cruised Hawaii, but have been to Oahu many times, Kauai a couple of times and Maui once. Since I know more about Oahu Richard, I'll suggest the following since you are interested in historic sites:

Navy tour of the Arizona Memorial

Tour Iolani Palace

Queen Emma's Summer Home

The Art Institute is interesting and has a very good museum store

Tour Shangrila, Doris Duke's home (arranged through the Art Institute)

We are not "beach people" but Hanuama (?spelling) Bay is very special.