Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Has any one left a cruise at one port and caught up at another port?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has left a crusie at one port and flown to the next port city. We are looking at 2 days at sea and thought it could be time better spent in a city (Lisbon) where we have never been.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

Yes, its called missing the ship. Met a lady who mixed up departure time in Nassau and watched the ship going on the horizon. She was put up in a GOOD hotel, $200+, and flown, by seaplane, to the next port, the ship's island. She did have her passport with her in her purse luckily. It cost them $1600 for this.
When ever someone misses the ship it is their responsibility to get back to the ship. Most fly to the next port but also need hotel arrangements. The harbor master helped the lady, making all the arrangements for her.
Why don't you just go back to Lisbon some day and stay there? Or you can find out you don't like Lisbon!
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM

Check out itineraries of the cruise ships.. We did spend an overnight in Lisbon with two private tours and I must say Lisbon, Sintra etc. were an absolute delight.. I too would go back if the cruise ship was doing an overnight..but i would't leave the ship
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM

Yes, did it once. Brother was getting married on St. John on a Wednesday. Thought the family would get bored spending a week. Found a cruise that hit St. Thomas the day he was getting married. The next port was St. Marteen. The wedding was at 6pm. I remember watching our ship sail off as the ceremony was happening. Chartered a helicopter to get to the next port.

However, be careful. I had to get permission from the cruise line to do this. They said from some ports it is fine but from others, it is not allowed. We had to fill out a request and send it to a special department.

You could always say you missed the boat by accident but I would be worried that a problem might occur. I had the paperwork with me proofing I had gotten permission. It still took close to an hour (computer screw up) to get back on the boat from the dock.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.for the info. We were thinking of leaving the ship at Dover,England, spend the day in London visiting friends and then fly to Lisbon. We would only miss LeHavre France and we have been in that area before and we would miss 2 days at sea. This is my first cruise and I am dreading the 2 days at sea - seems like a waste of time to me. But, who knows, I may enjoy it. Have checked out the flights to Lisbon and hotels in Lisbon so that isn't a problem.

If this is something we would decide to do we would contact the cruise line first. Thanks again.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM

Frankly, we love the days at sea....a port intensive cruise is much too exhausting. Other cruisers will tell you wonders of the days at sea.. one thing for sure.. boring they are not
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM

Yes, I would contact the cruise company once you decide it is the way you want to go. With RCCL, they had us fax/email our request explaining where we would miss the ship and where we would pick it up again. We also had to explain why? Got the OK about 5 days later. Made sure to bring a copy of the approval as it was not indicated on any normal cruise documents.

On the day we left the ship, we had to meet a special customs official. Getting back on was not easy but I found out they had a computer screw up. They forgot to mark are records somehow. Showed the approval and got it straightened out.

I had a very specific reason. It worked out great. But I do agree with ParrotMom, days at sea can be a blast.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Maybe the days at sea will be more fun that I think. Makes me feel a lot better about those days - perhaps we should just stick with the plan.

But jjw5nh - thanks for that info. It is something to remember on how to go about handling a situation if something comes up.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:12 AM

bonniejns. Too
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM

One issue that was not brought up. Entry and exit visas. Some countries have visa requriements if you are not arriving and departng on a cruise ship.