Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Grand Princess as much fun as Royal Caribbean?

Grand Princess as much fun as Royal Caribbean?

Jun 26th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Grand Princess as much fun as Royal Caribbean?

I am an RCI addict and am considering a cruise on Princess.My cruise on the Star Princess 11 years ago was a disappointment: stuffy staff, not much activity or nightlife and not the exuberant spirit of Royal Caribbean. Will I like the Grand?
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Bootman4U

As a veteran of 15+ cruises, many with RCCL..remember the old Nordic Prince???...and one with Princess and a host of others I really hope you get THE answer on this but you already know you won't....some will say yes and some will say no because it is impossible to know how you are going to react.
You mentioned a "stuffy" staff...how do you define the term "stuffy"??? Or "much activity"???..
I LOVE RCCL and for a lot of reasons, to include what I feel are some of the highest passenger safety standards going and I also agree that I thought the one Princess cruise we went on was somewhat bland when compared to RCCL and others...BUT, I have NEVER, EVER received a better or more thorough lifeboat drill/safety briefing than the onewe had from Princess...so it all depends on what you like.
Only way to knwo for sure is to go and forget about whether people here enjoyed or didn't. Good Luck.

Jun 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I was on the Grand's sister ship, Golden Princess, this past Spring and I couldn't imagine a better experience -- the staff was WONDERFUL, cruise director and cruise director's staff a hilarious blast, and SO many things to choose from and do night and day. Have you had a chance to read a "Princess Patter," the daily newsletter describing the day's on-board events? You should to get an idea of what's happening on a Grand or Golden cruise. "Stuffy" is NOT a word I would use for any of the staff we interacted with -- my roommate was dancing with our waiter at the Champagne Waterfall party, and he joined us up on deck later that evening for a lovely evening of laughs and champagne (after he was off duty!) The Golden's Cruise Director, Graham Seymour, is wacky and wonderful -- search for his name on this board or on cruisemates.com or cruisecritic.com or cruiseaddicts.com and read what people say! We were so "exuberant" on our cruise, we fell in bed exhausted, well after midnight, every night, and couldn't wait for the next day. Do others share this experience?
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:07 PM

I sailed on the Grand, Barcelona to Istanbul four years ago and loved it. Princess does a great job of taking care of the passengers. This July I am on the Brilliance, Barcelona rt. so I will be able to compare.

SteveS
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:02 AM

We were on the Grand Princess in December and loved it. We had a balcony cabin for about the same as some people paid for an inside and that was definitely something that added to our enjoyment of the cruise...coffee there in the morning, drinks in the evening. I had been told by a previous passenger to ask for anything and they would oblige so we had hors d'oeurves each evening brought to our cabin, robes were requested, food requests were always happily met. Non-stop music morning, noon or night at various venues which I loved, my kids met fabulous friends that they still speak to...what more can I say? We were supposed to go on the Voyager of the Seas but switched to the Grand Princess and loved it.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:20 PM

If you are into activities such as the rockwall, ice skating and roller blading, I think that RCCL is the only line that offers these activities.

Search this Thread