Getting to Port of Miami

Search

Getting to Port of Miami

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Port of Miami

I'm a first-time cruiser and have booked a four-day Carnival cruise out of Miami with my daughter, leaving at 4 pm on a Monday (in winter). We are traveling from upstate NY. Question - should I take a chance and fly to Ft Lauderdale or Miami on the day of the cruise (wouldn't get to FL until 11 am if all is on time), or fly to FL on Sunday, the day before the cruise to be sure? Is that enough time to get to the port? If I fly to Ft Lauderdale (which I would prefer because we can fly nonstop on SW) how would I get to Port of Miami and where should I stay the night before the cruise? Anyone know of something nice near the Ft Lauderdale airport or near the Port of Miami. Thanks so much all. I'm starting to regret that I even booked this cruise as the logistics of getting to the port are stressful.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM

I would definitely fly in the day before. Since it is winter, who knows what could happen weatherwise.

FLL is only 45 minutes from the port and you can grab a shared shuttle outside FLL baggage claim for around $18 a person. (Then to return to FLL, we just booked a private ride and the driver was waiting when we left the ship.)
http://www.floridalimo.com/

Holiday Inn Port of Miami is very close to the port and across the street from Bayside Market which has a lot of shops and eats. You might want to ask at the hotel if they offer their cruise package, which I have booked in the past. So fly in the day before and have a nice day shopping with your daughter - with no stress of missing the boat!

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/html/

http://www.hiportofmiami.com/specials.php
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! This sounds perfect and I feel better already!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM

Don't fret your first cruise, just relax and enjoy...
BTW- I agree that you should go the day before..this way you are rushing and worrying..
Where in Upstate are you?
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Amy - glad I could help. The downside of flying in the day before and shopping is that I end up wrestling for room in my suitcase and I haven't even gotten on the boat yet! I mean, do I really need that pair of shoes that I found on a great clearance?
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that will be me (and my daughter) - buying stuff we don't need and wishing we had a bigger suitcase (I think it's genetic). But for us northerners (Albany) it will be great to have another day in the sun!