Freighter Cruises?

Search

Freighter Cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freighter Cruises?

Anyone done one? I would love to know about them! I am a single female traveler and a bit nervous about the idea. However, I would like to hear from someone who has been on one, rather than people who assume what it would be like.

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM

Michelle, I don't believe for a moment that you'll do any cruises at all but I applaud your enthusiasm. So I suggest you go here for your information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=485
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 03:27 AM

freighterworld.com

You are wise to be nervous.Not journeywoman.com approved too many lonely ugly drunk merchant mariners aboard.Wise to make a new plan.vacationstogo.com great regular cruise deals.
econoair best with cheap hotels OneWorld alliance airtreks.com
for RTW. bootsnall.com great threads on this for indie travellers.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM

How about the Aranui 3. I did it as a single and loved it.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM

It sounds pretty dangerous...or let's say, potentially dangerous. A friend and her almost 80 year old mother did such a cruise a few years ago. It went well...but they were the only women on board. I can imagine how easily there could have been trouble. Maybe their ages kept them safe....probably so. But can you imagine being on a huge ship at sea with no protection or witnesses? I'm quite adventurous and rarely nervous or skeptical of situations. But this seems pretty far out there to me. Good luck in your decision! I hope you find a safe and fun cruise!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM

My user name got changed, but this is the op! I have been on a few cruises with my family and friends, which I enjoyed, but the idea f going alone (regular cruise, freighter, repositioning, etc)... Just seems like it could be lonely! Yet, I'm only 21, so a singles cruise isn't up my alley either. I've enjoyed y previous cruising and would like to go again, but I'm not sure if it's a fit!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 03:31 AM

From what I have gleaned about freighters:

The departure port can be changed at any time so you may have to wait to board. The freighter usually takes on only 6-10
paying passengers. The ports visiting time depends solely on how fast or slow the freight is unloaded so that changes too.
The average pax age is way up there since retirees have plenty of time to spend.

You might want to get a copy of TravLtips for more info.
www.travltips.com
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM

If you were my 21 year old daughter, I would nix that idea in a hurry - too dangerous. Stick with a regular cruise line, it doesn't have to be a party line or singles cruise. If you are seriously considering a freighter, you can handle whatever comes along on a "regular" cruise - still, be careful and sensible.