Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Freedom of the Seas-good for older people?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother-in-law (60+) and husband's grandmother (80+)are about to book a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas this May. I've heard it's a great cruise for families, but what about for 2 older women. Also, the grandmother only speaks Spanish. Any thoughts? Do you need to book events early that's just for adults? Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM

I saw this on another website. Having been the victim of a Royal Caribbean cruise, I get the point. Take it for what you think it's worth.

Top 10 signs you belong on Royal Caribbean:

1. You think standing in lines is a good way to meet people.

2. The cabins are way bigger than that cell you were just released from.

3. You don’t notice that the comedian spends more time saying what a great cruise it is than telling jokes.

4. You watch Home Shopping Network more than 10 hours per week

5. You know you’re having a good time when you’re told you’re having a good time.

6. Drink of the day? You’d go for drink of the hour!

7. Olive Garden is your special occasion restaurant.

8. You’re interested in all those business offers being e-mailed to you from Nigeria.

9. “You suck” sounds to you like “ Have a nice day” in the language of your homeland.

[ Wait – you complain there’s only 9? Well, Royal Caribbean gets away from promising more than they deliver, so why can’t I?]
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:26 AM

I would look into other cruise lines unless your Mother -in-law and Grandmother want to be cruising with THOUSANDS of their closest friends!!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Rosie I am sorry to heat about your disappointment with RCCL. I would suggest to the OP to check www.cruisecritic.com for the many passenger reviews that are out there. You can also try www.cruisemates.com. Most of the scores of reviews are quite positive though I am not trying to diminish your disappointment by any means. However the line overall rates quite well.
As for the OP, if you are still around the ship is quite large and glitzy. This may not be for you unless you like this style. I am not sure by what you mean about early booking for "adult events" Care to elaborate?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input-
Jacket Watch:
I guess evening shows, comedians, is what I mean by "adult events". Is there even a full week of things to do at night for older adults. I think my mother-in-law is picturing the kind of "shows" that were featured on "The Love boat"! Is it like that anymore? My mother-in-law and grandmother are not going to want to be in their cabin before bedtime, but they are also not likely to sit in a bar.

My fear for them is exactly what Rosie170 said about the cruise. I'm just not sure it is the right thing for them for a quiet getaway.

Thank you for all your input!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Typically there is a show after each meal sitting. The shows are all open seating, there are no booking needed nor accepted and they vary. Some nighs you will have broadway style reviws, others will have feature entertainers, toss in a comedian here and there, maybe a magic act and you have it. Then after the shows end typically a show in one of the several lounges will start so there will be enough to keep one busy. I don't know what was on the Love Boat but it was a family show so it had to be tame for public TV, esp. during that time period. Quite honestly I don't take what Rosie said seriously. The vast majority of reviews about RCCL are very positive and do not in any way reflect her opinion though she is certainly entitled to it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:01 AM

I so agree with jacketwatch. Everyone is entitled to there opinions. WE have been on numerous cruises, and one positive element is there is something for everyone so I feel. All age brackets. I have seen people from 8-80 having a great time. I have never been on Freedom of the Seas and I would love to see her. My husband and myself have been on several RCCL cruises and have always enjoyed. I like the newer ships. I think you will have a great time. As for only speaking spanish, well that is not a cruise problem but just a general issue. Nothing anyone can do about that at all. It will not matter what ship she is on there will be a language barrier for her.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:17 AM

Ignore the hateful post by rosie - RCCL is an excellent line.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM

RCCL is a very good line and there is something for everyone. I wouldn't pay much attention to the negative remarks. If you check out cruisecritic.com I think you'll see that poeple of all ages are generally quite pleased with RCCL. I am sure you'll enjoy the cruise.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM

If their reservations haven't been made yet, I would suggest either Princess or Holland American for your MIL and GM.

Years ago we sailed with RCCL on the Song of America and very much enjoyed that cruise. Cruising was very different then. After many years, we again sailed with them to Bermuda on the Nordic Prince (no longer in their fleet) and the largest ship we had ever been on. We loved Bermuda and we had terrific tablemates, but the ship overall was not our style. We can no longer sail with RCCL because all their ships are too big!

I realize this is the new trend and most people are okay with it, but it just doesn't suit us. I must agree with Rosie about standing in line and the Nordic Prince was smaller than most of the ships now. It took forever to get off the ship. We were glad to be docked for several days in one location and then a couple more in another. If we'd had daily ports it would have been a real hassle getting on and off the ship.

Our last two cruises (to Alaska and the Panama Canal) were on Princess and I think would suit these two ladies better than RCCL. Just my opinion and two cents for what it's worth.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM

p.s. Princess has several ships under 2,000 passengers and three under 1,000. Holland American's ships are mostly under 2,000 passengers and the Prinsendam carries only 793. I think these two ladies would be happier on a less crowded ship.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM

When my Mom was 73, she took her first cruise on RCCL. She had first seating dinner, was able to sit in the first row at the evening show---things went well. I was in my 40's, so I was perfectly happy with RCCL.

As an experienced cruiser (18), at age 56 I will NOT take a RCCL cruise, because I would rather be with others in my age group. We like Celebrity, Oceania and Holland America.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Reisender is correct.

RCCL is a great cruise line.

In fact, I heard it was just made the official cruise line of West Virginia!
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for everyone who gave their input.
They decided on passing on the cruise. I think people who would take advantage that all the cruise offers would be better for someone else. i.e. rock climbing wall, wave pool...something they would never use!

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM

I'm sorry to hear they've changed their minds. A cruise can be a wonderful way to vacation. Not all ships are floating cities, with rock climbing walls, skating rinks, etc. That's one of the reasons we don't care for most of the larger ships, too much glitz, too little true ship.

I would hope these two ladies would reconsider and find a ship more suited to their tastes. I'm sure they would be both enjoy themselves.