Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Which particular ships attract drunks/ cheapskates?

May 4th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

I have read a lot of people complaining that they perceive Carnival to be full of drunks and cheapskates.

Therefore, to help us avoid the worst ships, please post your comments on the following questions.

1. Which SHIP have you personally sailed on that seemed to be completely loaded with DRUNKS?

2. Which SHIP have you personally sailed on that seemed to be completely loaded with CHEAPSKATES?

Please comment on the itinerary, length of cruise and time of year (ex. 7-day cruise to Western Caribbean during summer/ spring break / Christmas, etc).

It has been my experience that ships such as the Carnival Fantasy (one of the older ships, which is usually priced very cheaply) which does short (3 and 4-day cruises) tends to attract both drunks and cheapskates.
May 4th, 2004, 10:16 AM
P_M

An interesting question indeed. I have been on at least 7 cruises, including Carnival, Sitmar (now part of Princess), Commodore, and Royal Olympic, and I'm booked on a 4-day Royal Caribbean cruise in May. I can tell you that I have met a few such people on every cruise. That is not to say that it was an entire boatload of drunks or cheapskates, but in every given crowd of people there will be a few of these. I can't imagine how Carnival has stayed in business all these years if this is the only clientele they attract. Also you mention that the short cruises attract such people. As stated before, I am booked on a 4-day cruise soon, and I assure you I am none of those things. Has it not occurred to you that the short cruises attract people with less vacation time? Every cruise has a different group of people, so I don't see how you think you can avoid such issues.
May 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM

I have to agree with Peter, I would rather be mauled by a bear than cruise with Carnival. I have sailed twice on Celebrity, both 7 day cruises, one to west. Caribbean and one to eastern. They were top notch. I'm sailing on NCL this summer to Europe for two weeks and will probably find a slighly "older" croud. There will always be "drunks" on any cruise, but the "Carnie" crowd indeed has a reputation for the Walmart, Nascar, beer swilling, types than I prefer to spend anytime with. JMHO.
May 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM

I got to this "Cruise" forum by an erroneous mouse click. I've only been on one "cruise" -- that being an Atlantic crossing on the QE 2. However I am curious. I understand how a boat load of drunks could cause other passengers discomfort. But what discomforts would a boat load of cheapskates cause? I spend (or don't spend) my money as I want; and I've never been much concerned (and certainly not discomforted by) how others spend (or don't spend) their money. So, what is the point of the second question?
May 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM

I guess I'm confused a bit....do "drunks" and "cheapskates" wear labels? I can usually identify someone who has had a lot to drink,but that doesnt indicate that he/she lives their entire life that way.And just because someone pays the least amount of money for an inside low deck cabin doesnt mean they pinch every penny they have.So just help me out here....
May 4th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Have you personally traveled on a Carnival ship, cruiseman? If not, then how is it "..it have been my experience..." And if you have already cruised on a Carnival ship, then you know that they are not completely filled with drunks and cheapskates!

You singled out the Fantasy, which I just cruised on during the New Year and had a wonderful time. The ship was NOT filled with the type of people you describe. Yes, there were a few. But by and large, the majority of people were there to ring in the new year in grand style.

The food and service on the Fantasy were exceptional. I wouldn't hesitate to sail "her" again.

Carnival gets a bad rap. It's too bad. Every cruise line I've sailed (9 cruises so far, if I've counted them all) has its ups and downs. I've been on Carnival (2), RCCL (2), NCL (1), Royal (1), Costa (1) and Princess (2, and soon to be 3). I have found praises and faults with each and everyone.

I've not sailed Celebrity, but perhaps will some day. I'm also looking into a Radisson cruise. I'm no drunk nor am I a cheapskate!
May 4th, 2004, 12:06 PM

It has been my expierence and mine only, that the cheaper the cruise is, the less refined the people are. I have found that the more people complain, talk loudly about money and the better places/ships etc they have been tend to be a little lower class that happen to have some money. I have been on Carnival and it is just not my cup of tea or Martini for that matter.
May 4th, 2004, 02:21 PM

A GREAT deal depends on when and where you sail. I have been on 31 cruises and indeed have experienced more "drunks" and offensive passengers on Carnival, also the only line where twice there were "shorts and tshirt" passengers in the dining room on formal night. These were summer cruises. Off season when I have gone- totally different. I have also gone on Carnival 3 times to Alaska- middle aged and above, the NORM, no party ship and little nightlife. These experiences did not impact greatly on my enjoyment- yes other sailings were better, but maybe I'm jaded- I travel a lot- 5-6 vacations/per year (7 1/2 weeks paid time off/year) and one vacation is no biggie if less than ideal. I think people who place such a high standard and expectation with travel are setting themselves up for disappointment.
May 5th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

I have been on 20+ cruises and several have been on Carnival. I always read people on this board in particular bashing Carnival for, as Rosemary1 says, "the Walmart, Nascar, beer swilling types."

I have assumed that people who make those comments are simply "Frasier Crane"-type arrogant individuals.

I personally believe that all cheap cruises attract the drunks. This is not limited to Carnival, as there are plenty of drunks who wear a tux.

As for the "cheap" question, I think that it goes hand-in-hand with the drunk question. Although there are drunks who drink martinis, i think that the louder, more flamboyant drunks drink miller light and take the cheap cruises.

This is my observation and I am merely curious if it is what other think. Otherwise, why do so many people bash Carnival? The service and quality of food on other lines is not THAT much better that Carnival deserves the drunk/cheapskate reputation that a vocal minority continue to proclaim.
May 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Why does a cheap cruise attract drunks when alcohol is not free? And has anyone really proved that intoxication from martinis, or shall we say high class intoxication is any different that intoxication from Miller lite or Bud or shall we say low class intoxication? This is too preposterous to even think about IMHO. I think people are people, good, bad and in between in all price categories and to lump Carnival cruisers into the "Miller lite" category and all the negatives that go with this stereotype is reprehensible and offensive. See people for who they are and not for what you they they should be based on a preconceived image of the ship they happen to be cruising on. We have met some very intellegent, mature and "martini" folks on Carnival so lets get off this thread. JM2C.
May 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM
P_M

Very well said, jacketwatch. I think if I were a cheapskate and a drunk, I would not go on a cruise where I have to pay for alcohol. Instead I would seek out the cheapest all-inclusive resort in Mexico, then drink myself into oblivion without having to pay an extra penny!! HA!!
May 6th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Thanks P_M. Have a good one.
May 6th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Singletail

I think you all really missed the point on this one. Obviosuly, Cruiseman is searching for a cruise where he will fit right in..NOT one he wants to avoid.

Garb Cathy Lee and head for the dock, stud, and one of the "fun" ships. Bring your money, too.

May 6th, 2004, 02:00 PM

You asked Cruiseman, deal with it.
May 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM

I cruised RCCl's Enchantment 4-day in Sept.and loved the people, booked it again. The Sovereign had a nice clientele, too, but the ship was disappointing. However, I sailed the Jubilee and the Sensation and was just floored at how rude people were. Yelling at waiters.Literally falling on you at the pool, beer in hand.Screaming at their kids.Rude to waiters. Shorts and Nascar shirts in the dining room.Kids running trough halls at night at 4.I don't think I'm better than that, just different. There were also more smokers on these 2 cruises- it was terrible at times, and the rules were not enforced. I know many people try a short cruise first- if I had done these first, I would say "never again".As far as cheapskates- people who stiff the waiters should be ashamed. We tip well, and usually bring them a small gist from home.
May 11th, 2004, 02:24 PM

LLindaC, you are my kind of cruiser/vacationer! I agree with all you say!
May 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM

My first cruise was on the Carnival Sensation (7 day Western Caribbean in December) and I HATED IT. The food was bad but the service was worse. My follow passengers were not very drunk but they were very "rough around the edges." My husband and I wanted to fly home mid trip. It took about 4 years for me to get over it and book another cruise. My second cruise was with RCCL and it was amazing! I totally love cruises now and will be going to Alaska with year with Princess. I would NEVER cruise with Carnival again - even if it was a free vacation!!!!!
May 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Now I'm really confused. I was hoping to find travel tips on a good time to take a Caribbean cruise (to avoid bad weather) but now it seems I have to also be concerned on what cruise line to take. I have never been on a cruise and Carnival Cruise is the first name I thought of when considering a cruise.

I would like to leave from New Orleans and take a 5 or 7 day cruise with my wife and 3 kids (ages 7 to 12). The date really doesn't matter too much but I would like to go when there will be nice weather and no chance for a hurricane. Economical is good. As for drunk cheapskates....they can be rich or poor and still be either or both.

Any advice on time of year to go and on what ship the kids would have a good time as well as the parents?
May 15th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I cruised on Carnival out of New Orleans on spring break a few years ago. We had gorgeous weather. The ship was the older and smaller Celebration, and it isn't cruising out of NewO anymore. But I think Carnival might have a very new ship cruising out of that port. A new ship might be nice! If it were me, I would not hesitate to cruise Carnival again.
May 16th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I believe Celebrity cruises out of New Orleans also ..not sure of the itineraries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO