FLL Marriott Marina

Search

FLL Marriott Marina

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLL Marriott Marina

We just booked the Marriott Marina for $79. Jan. pre-cruise, priceline. I know it's right across the street from the port but are there any stores within walking distance to buy wine or liquor? Doesn't look like they offer free con. breakfast. Do they have a free shuttle from the airport?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:55 PM

There is a Publix grocery store about 4-5 blocks away that does sell wine (on the same street and same side of street at Marriott). One block past that is a liquor store that sells everything. There is also a drug store near by if you need to purchase any last minute items.

I believe the grocery stores do not sell alcohol on Sunday mornings so plan accordingly.

I don't believe there is a complimentary shuttle but you should be able to get a taxi for around $7 or so.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:05 PM

You will like this property--I stayed there last week. Request a Tower room overlooking the ICW and check out the yachts moored there.
They only offer shuttle service TO the cruise ship, nothing to/from the airport or from the cruise ship.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM

How exactly did you get it on Priceline?I am confused as to what to look for---downtown, beach etc. We have never used Priceline, but I would really like to. We need a hotel for Feb. 19. On Marriot's site, they are booked for that date.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Have to be honest, my Son booked it for us (as he always does) If you can't find out how to use priceline on your own, let me know you're email address and I'll have Andrew contact you. He got the Hyatt Regency for $49. Miami Nov.21. We're thrilled with the savings!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:44 PM

Lindam:
We just got the Marriott Marina for 2/24-2/27. Their website said it was full. Priceline gave us a room for $75. THis was our first time using Priceline. Before bidding, go to biddingfortravel.com and click on Florida-Ft. Lauderdale. It will help you immensely. When you are bidding, Priceline asks you what part of the city you want to bid in (they have a helpful map) We submitted one bid, 3 star, downtown. Got the Marina right away.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Hi! We had a big family cruise...I did Priceline, downtown, 3 stars. Got the Marriott for 4 rooms, 69 dollars each. The other group traveled later. We did the same request/price and got the Embassy Suites for 2 rooms. I used EEZZExpress (vans)for them from the airport to the Marriott, to the cruise ship , then from the ship to the airport. Their rates were terrific and they were on time, polite and professional. If you get the Embassy Suites, there is a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise ship. They also have a great free breakfast. Don't worry, if you are among the first on the ship, the buffet will be open and you can have brunch right away. You won't starve, LOL.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I got the Marriott for my folks with Priceline with the help of BiddingForTravel.com . I mimiced someone else's bid of $74 (not $79 Mom!) for about the same dates and got it. The Marriott's rate was $249 on their website. $74 sounds like a great price, no?

I have used Priceline before and just mimiced someone else's bid, but you should be careful doing that. The prices change all the time; last year I got the Fort Lauderdale Embassy Suites (also a 3-star) for $57/night. If the price goes down to that again, you could bid way too much, especially if you were bidding for three rooms as I was.

Normally if your Priceline bid is rejected, you have to wait three days to try the same exact bid again. But there is a trick called free re-bidding. Basically, if you are bidding on a 3-star hotel and fail, you can add a zone that has no 3-star hotels in it and bid again immediately (raising your price), and you won't get a hotel in the other zone.

For example, if you bid for a 3-star Fort Lauderdale Downtown and are rejected, you could add the Pompano Beach zone, raise your price a few bucks, and bid again. Pompano Beach has no 3-star Priceline hotels in it (AS OF OCTOBER 26 - this could change!). If that fails, you could add Miramar (no 3-stars), raise your price a few more bucks, and bid again. If that fails, you need to wait three days and try again. CHECK THESE ZONES before bidding in the future, if you are reading this much later than 10/26/04!

You can find the free re-bid zones by starting a Priceline bid and clicking on one zone at a time and then doing "next" to see what star ratings come up. You won't get any free re-bids for 2.5 star or below in Fort Lauderdale, but you get two free re-bids for 3-star hotels and maybe more for 4-star hotels (check it out). If you have patience, you can finesse your price and save some money.

Andrew
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Thanks, Andrew, for your advice. Using it and biddingfortravel, I too got the Marriott Marina for $74 both pre and post cruise in April. On the Marriot website, the price was $259 -- so I'm VERY happy!!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Glad to hear you got the same good deal, ah4sail. Just a note of caution, though: April is really a long time in advance to book a non-refundable hotel through Priceline. Yes, you have booked the cruise and airfare anway, but if something changes and you can't go, you're stuck paying for two nights at the Marriott. You can't even change the days.

I once booked a room for someone who couldn't go on their cruise - it happens.

Contrary to what you might think, you can get great Priceline deals even near the last minute; I have done so many times. The deals in my experience are not any better if you book months ahead of time. Personally, I would not book anything on Priceline more than about two months ahead of time. The best practice is probably to book something you can cancel so you have a hotel reserved, then try Priceline about two months out or less.

Andrew