Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First time on Carnival, a few questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a 3 night cruise on Carnival Paradise out of Long Beach. I've never been on Carnival and know nothing about it, nor have i ever been on such a short cruise.

My TA said we can bring our own bottled water within reason like 2 per day per person (we'll have a fridge in our cabin) and 3 bottles of wine (1 for each dinner each night) and pay the corkage. Is my TA correct? I've never used them before either.

I guess if you want a cocktail on your balcony before dinner you call room service? Can you get cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail through room service for your cocktail hour?
Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM

I was on a Carnival cruise early last month and can halp a bit...

You wrote: "My TA said we can bring our own bottled water within reason like 2 per day per person ... and 3 bottles of wine (1 for each dinner each night) and pay the corkage. Is my TA correct? I've never used them before either."

Yes, you can bring the bottled water without a problem.

Your TA is wrong about the wine. You may only bring two bottles. Per Carnival's published policy: Guests 21 years of age and older only may bring ONE bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, PER PERSON, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room.

Carnival ships generally have a pretty decent selection of wines and aren't terribly overpriced.

You wrote: "I guess if you want a cocktail on your balcony before dinner you call room service? Can you get cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail through room service for your cocktail hour?"

Yes, you can order cocktails through room service, but it's simpler (and quicker) to stop at a bar and bring the drinks with you to your cabin.

According to the room service menu from my cruise last month, neither cheese and crackers, nor shrimp cocktail were offered. You can get cheese and crackers from the buffet almost any time in the afternoon and bring it to your cabin. Aside from breakfast, room service items are mostly sandwiches and salads, although assorted vegetable sticks and blue cheese dip were listed.

I hope that helps!

Linda
Cruise Diva http://cruisediva.com and author of Fodor's Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM

I have found the price of wine (full bottles) extremely reasonable when compare to typical restaurant price. Most average wine mark up is less than $10 so if you bring your own and they charge you $10 corkage anyway ... it's not worth it.

The policy originally was put in place for the "higher" end wine that is not generally availabe on the ship's menu. I have generally find something that I like or be a bit adventurous on the ship's wine menu. Unless you are very particular about certain vintage and "brand names", just spend the money on the ship.

I used to have bottled water shipped to the cabin now I just order bottled water. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but ... think about luggng it around (in your luggage), the weight restriction by airlline. Not worth it at all.

Back in 2001, we had a small group and for business resaon, we decided to ship water from shore as we need a certain "brand" that is not carried by the cruise ship. I had 120 cases of water shipped to our cabins and pay them (back then) $2.50 per case for handling plus a tip for the steward at $1 a case.

The truck driver had to be at the dock before 6 a.m. for delivery, teh driver eneded up sitting there till 10 a.m. before he unloaded the 2 pallets of water.

If it is not for "business" and must have the "right" brand there, I woouldn't have done it. We were not allowed to use the water in any of the dining areas and we drank it ashore and at the cabin only.

To make a long story short, if the price is reasonable, I'll gladly pay rather than bring my own. If the price is not reasonable, I'll just do without or consume less.

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful info.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM

We just returned from the Elation Cruise from San Diego. I am still waiting for my room service breakfast! Would not recommend this trip for several reasons. I had low expectations- but I still encountered food health violations and cigarette smoke coming through the room ventilation system.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Hi. I have been on Carnival Cruises before and going on one again soon. I don't really use Room Service. Yet, there is a big bottle of water in the cabin my family and I use for emergencies and willing to pay for it. There is a room service menu in the cabin in case you want breakfast in your room. I just stick with the buffet and the lounges for a mid-afternoon soda, non-alcoholic beverage. I know you'll have fun. My advice would be to talk to your room attendant about Room Service and other services the cruise has to offer.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM

The policy is one bottle of wine per adult at embarcation. No hard alcohol allowed but a reasonable amount of soft drinks are allowed (not specific).

At each port you aren't allowed to bring any alcohol back on board.

You can order room service any time for free but I've never done it. If we want something, it only takes a minute to go up to the buffets to get what you want.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM

I should have added that I've seen many people push the rules and get away with it so I'm not sure whether the rules are just guidelines or not.