First time cruisers going to Scandinavia

Jun 20th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

First time cruisers going to Scandinavia

DH and I are seasoned European travelers and usually plan trips on our own. After taking a Viking River Cruise in 2016 we decided to book a Viking Ocean Cruise to Scandinavia next year. We are in our 60s and moderately active. We've already been told to arrive a day early to the departure city and to take something for sea sickness (I crossed the Channel on a ferry during rough seas 30 years ago with no issues but one can change in 3 decades). What advice would you seasoned cruisers give to newbees?
Jun 20th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Can you go in more than a day early? It could be nice to see some of that city before you go and it would give you more time to get over jet lag assuming you are coming from a long way away.

For ocean cruises it is recommended to get a cabin low and amidships if there is any question of motion sickness. We usually do though we get a balcony which is on the higher decks.

What about excursions? If you are going to SPB which most Scandanavian cruises do you will need a Russian visa but if you book a tour with either the ship or one of several good Russian tour groups w=then this suffices for your visa.

What are your ports? Except for SPB most are doable on your own.

Do be aware you will cross several time zones so be sure you arena the right time for the next day. You should be reminded of that onboard several times.

As for mal de mer its always best to be prepared as meds obtained on board will be quite costly so yes get them before you go.
Jun 20th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch, we are considering whether to stay additional nights in our first port, Bergen, or the last, Copenhagen. We like the idea of visiting ports on our own when possible. This cruise visits Bergen,Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo in Norway; Gothenborg Sweden where we will visit a friend, Alborg and Copenhagen in Denmark. I think all are in the same time zone. There is also a stop in Warnemunde to visit Berlin but we are going to forgo 6 hours on a bus and look into other excursions. We have a balcony cabin midship. Thanks for the advice about taking sea sick remedies with us. We also plan to consult with our doctors before we go.

Last edited by Scootoir; Jun 20th, 2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Jun 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM

Ok, I see, this is not a Baltic cruise. Does it go to the Scandinavian fiords?
Jun 21st, 2018, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

There is one day in the fjord(s).
Jun 26th, 2018, 01:26 AM
lyn

For Warnemunde, look at Friends of Dave Tours. We had a great time with them.
We spent several days in Copenhagen, friendly and walkable with lots to do. We were there during jazz festival, even better.
Jun 26th, 2018, 03:36 AM

I always recommend Sailor's Secret to those concerned about sea sickness. My husband is very sensitive to motion. We found Sailor's Secret in the sundry shop on board the ship, and he found that it worked almost instantly. It is a ginger capsule, and can be found on Amazon very inexpensively.
Jun 26th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Quick comments:
Ginger works best for motion sickness
Spend extra time in Copenhagen
Look into Schwerin Castle and Rostock for Warnemunde
Jun 27th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you lyn, burta and Eschew I will look into these.

Search this Thread