Copenhagen to Oslo - ship or fly??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for opinions on getting from Copenhagen to Oslo, My wife and I will be making the trip. I know we can take an overnight ferry, but it's pretty pricey - we can fly for much less - even with the extra night in a hotel. SO - Is it worth it?? We all for doing the boat thing, but is the experience worth it??

Are basic accomidations for the birth adequate? We don;t want to cheapskate things too much.

So far our Ininerary is 3 days Copenhagen, 3-4 days in norway to go oslao to bergen, then ending up in Helsinki for 3 days. Is that way too much? We aren't much into hanging around hotels or hotel pools - we want to explore...

Any help would be great!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I was told that these ferries are basically cheap drinking excursions. I don't have any direct experience, but I'd look into exactly what you hope to get from the ferry experience - I've also heard of choppy seas. You can always take a boat ride around Oslo when you get there.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM

The ships are large cruise ships (of 35 000 or 40 000 tons). The cabins come in various grades, and there's a choice of places to eat and drink. See www.dfdsseaways.com for more details.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thx Will and Geoff - THat is the ship line I was looking at. I know we'll have lots of places to take boat rides...Guess thats why I'm leaning toword just flying.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM

OK, here is my story.

My husband and I were going to Norway for our nephew's wedding to a beautiful Norwegian girl. We started out in Denmark because I wanted to trace my Danish great-grandmother (I found the church where she was christened, after a train, bus, and taxi ride..)

We decided to take the ferry to Oslo. Went to book it. Oh, oh, nothing available when we needed to go except the most expensive cabin. Since this trip commemorated our 35th wedding anniversary, we gulped and took it. It was WONDERFUL. We had a complete suite, at the front of the boat with a sitting room, an incredible aquarium of great fish, a TV and a bottle of champagne.

I do not regret it.

But, to speak to the other responses, we took one of these ferries between Stockholm and Helsinki, and, essentially it was a "booze cruise" for a lot of young people. We had a cabin, of course, but the next morning had to step over them on the stairs and in the lounges, as they were sleeping off their "wonderful night".

My advice....do what feels good for you. If you have a private cabin on the "ferry", it will be an experience. Otherwise...well...fly.

The ships we were on were not "essentially large cruise ships" as GeoffHarner asserts. They were just small "ferries" with cabins and dining rooms and lounge rooms.

They do include breakfast and dinner, and if you happen to be "elite", as we were on our first cruise, you get to have a separate dining room, for your "ilk". I tried not to feel top superior <g>

However, it was a lot of fun on the Stockholm/Helsinki cruise to watch the European young people acting even more outrageous than what we see in the US>

"Cultural Relativity"

As far as Helsinki is concerned, I, personally, would go there for a whole day tour and that is all. Maybe I missed something. Had you thought of Stockholm instead of Helsinki? So much to see there.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:40 AM

These are definitely not "small ferries". A ship of 40,000 tons is a big ship, bigger than many cruise ships. The largest Scandinavian ferry is the COLOR FANTASY which runs between Oslo and Kiel: that ship measures 75,000 tons which is more than the QE2.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:46 AM

If it were me I'd probably do the ferry crossing but quite honestly, I think you've already answered your own question when you say:

"It's pretty pricey-we can fly for much less..."

and

"...we want to explore."

And flying over there would give you even more time to explore.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM

I don't understand how flying will give more time to "explore". The ship sails overnight. Unless you want to explore the nightlife of København or Oslo, flying will not give any more sightseeing time. By sea, you'll sail up the Oslofjord in the morning and get the best possible views of Oslo, and you'll have the whole day to do whatever sightseeing you want.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Thanks for all the great responces!

Intrepid - You read me right - I am the cheap skate of the family...BUT from what I've read from Geoff and JTRand, I'm now leaning toword the ship.

And a quick booze cruise at some point would be fun too...Just for the experience.

JTR - We have some friends that are in/near Helsinki. We are hoping to visit them - thats why we are heading there... we are also thinking of a day trip to tallin...

Thanks all!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM
hsv

I haven't done the ferry crossing between Copenhagen and Oslo. But: I did use a Baltic Sea ferry twice in order to sail from Germany to Finland and to Estonia.

Both times I also used one of the so called "cruise ferries", pretty similar to the ones operating between Copenhagen and Oslo.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's a very relaxing way to travel, there is lots of fresh air that helps you to unwind and develop an appetite for the usually great smorgasbord buffet in the evening. Of course, a number of Scandinavians and other nationals will use the ship in order to take that one drink that's too much for them, but the ships are so huge it's easy to
escape them.

I would definitely suggest to book an outside cabin (pricier) that will provide you with a view as in contrast to the interior cabins, should you decide to use the ferry.

Overall, this is a mode of travel that decelerates travelling to some extent and therefore makes me appreciate my trip even more - and in this case it appears that you aren't even loosing that much time as it's going to be an overnight crossing.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Just another opinion...we took the ferry and enjoyed it but I would fly. The morning view of the Oslofjord is typically overcast and grey...the fjords from Oslo to Bergen are much more impressive. I'd fly and settle into my Oslo hotel, personally.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Having sat on the deck at a friend's weekend home south of Oslo, watching the Colorline ferry go by. . .I have to say I was envious. I can't imagine that water being choppy---it's straight up the fjord. Add in the cost and hassle of getting to and from the airports in Copenhagen and Oslo, as well as the extra hotel night and food, etc. Here's a vote for the boat.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM

Having taken the cruise from Copenhagen to Oslo with about 100 other exchange students, I can confirm that yes, it IS somewhat of a booze cruise. But thats not all that it is...there are lots of other things to do aboard the ships - there is a movie theater, pool, spa, restaurants, etc...The accomodations that we stayed in weren't fantastic but I believe that if you want to pay more, you can get a better room. I would recommend this cruise mainly for the views...as we were cruising down the fjords towards Oslo, we were met with breathtaking scenery. You will miss all of this if you fly! By the way, let me know if you need any advise about Copenhagen - I lived there for 5 months while on exchange and absolutely loved it!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:15 AM

I am definitely with jtrandolph on this one-- 3 days in Helsinki!!?? Skip Stockholm!!?? Short-changing Norway? What are you thinking??

Also, an overNIGHT, pricey ferry ride versus a cheaper flight; this seems like a no-brainer...what am I missing? You'll get plenty and much better chances for ferry rides in Norway; save it for then.

In summary, you need to either fly all the way into Helsinki, tour for a day, and work your way east by flying into Stockholm (2 days), train to Oslo 4-5 days), get to Copenhagen.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:19 AM

Another option is an overnight train. Make a connection in Malmo for the sleeper to Oslo. My 1st class bunk cost 251 Danish kroner, about $40. The ride was included with my Eurailpass. If you don't have a Eurailpass you'll need to buy a ticket which will up the economics.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Doesn't the overnight train to Oslo connecting from Malmo leave at 5 PM (same time as the boat) and arrive at 6 AM (whereas the boat arrives at 9:30 AM). I am debating between the two (don't want the hassle of flying). Please let me know if I am wrong!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM

I've looked on www.bahn.de and can't see a night train from Malmö to Oslo. Even if there is one, the facilities will be very limited, compared with an overnight ship which will have a choice of cabins, all with bathrooms, and a choice of bars and restaurants. Sailing to Oslo, you'll be going up the Oslofjord in the morning as you eat breakfast and will get the best views of the city's waterfront. See www.dfdsseaways.com for details of the ships.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Which cabin to book on DFDS??? Deck 2 inside cabin with facilties is 73 euros with a railpass and an inside cabin is about 110 euros with a railpass. What's the difference?? Is Deck 2 really supernoisy? Would earplugs take care of things?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM

The train could be a good option, I haven't done the full journey, but I remember that Goteborg to Oslo was only about 4 hrs. How about the high speed ferry (Lynx) from Copenhagen to Goteberg, and then the train?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM

PS Train journey is quite picturesque - passing various lakes and the multiple locks at Trollhattern (no idea if I've spelt that right! 8-0 )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -