First-time Cruise

Aug 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

First-time Cruise

My fiance and I have decided to go on a 7-day cruise to the Carribean for our honeymoon in November, but can't decide on which cruise-line as neither on of us have been on one before. We are both middle-age and this is a second marriage for both of us. Any suggestions.
Aug 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM

cruisecritic website is rather comprehensive for questions.

You can also go to Expedia website and under cruises do a search based on departure port, destinations, etc.

I think Celebrity would be a good mid-range cruise line. If you go with less expensive cruiselines, you sometimes end up with a younger, rowdier set - but the longer the cruise, the less rowdy the passengers.

Aug 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM

Repeat cruisers usually have their favorite lines (and are rewarded for loyalty).

That said, I think mid-range cruises
appealing to middle-aged folks would be the aforesaid Celebrity, Princess & HAL which skews to a somewhat-higher age range but might be perfect for your honeymoon.

Do extensive research on cruisecritic as Gail mentioned as their audience are big repeat cruisers & can answer your queries on the message boards.
Aug 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM

We have been on Celebrity and HAL a couple of times and RCI once. As we are not cruise collectors our experience is limited. Celebrity and HAL are fine and we would probably prefer them in the future. There are also good guides- lkie Fodors which give the characteristics of the ships. You could look there also. If you are not big time party people watch out for some.
Aug 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM

We are new cruisers, having given up our travel trailer for health reasons. Our first cruise was 3 day on RCL in August 2007, and we had a ball. Our son talked us into it and booked a balcony cabin, and we will always go that route. We were so sold that we took a 5 day cruise in April on Celebrity to the West Caribbean, and will depart for a 14 day to Alaska in Sept,also on Celebrity. We will go back to RCL for a trip through the Panama Canal next year.

Decide what kind of middle-aged person you are before booking. We found Celebrity to be a lot of older, early to bed people and much less nightlife. RCL had some great clubs and an outstanding piano bar.
There were more young people on RCL, but since we enjoy their company, we didn't mind.

Aug 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Have been on many cruises. I wouldn't go on Carnival - too young and crazy for middle age. Celebrity is a great choice. The last time I was on HAL I felt the service had gone down hill. Princess is inbetween, a little less expensive than Celebrity and has a mix of ages. By all means - get a balcony. But that will mean that you will never want anything else from that on out!! When you are booking a room, go on the website and check out where it is located on the floor and what is above and below. You don't want something noisy in those areas. Preferably rooms above and below unless the spa which is also quiet. Vacations to GO offers great specials and will send updates on new reductions. Most of the excursions are overpriced but I love the spa. Try the hot stone massage or the couples massage. Another tip - try one of the specialty restaurants even though it is a minimal charge. Well worth it. November will be a great time to go!!