Finally booked, Yea!

Mar 11th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Finally booked, Yea!

Back in Jan when I started planning, you were all so helpful. I had hoped to go while it was still winter, but things happened - we didn't get to go then.

Now, I am so excited - I just booked the NCL Epic for March 30, two inside staterooms mid-ship, deck 10.
I am aware of the quirks. In our price range, nothing is perfect, but as someone frequently says on the forum, any day at sea is better than a day at home.

My final thinking.
Liked several Carnival cruises, except so many complaints about smoking, and with lung disease, I might have difficulty.

Liked Caribbean Princess out of Houston best, but longer, more expensive flights with layovers were a turn off to DD with the little one.

Were afraid DD would be bored and little one might get on old ones' nerves on HAL.

Even with quirks on Epic, and a bit huge for my taste, we thought DD and GD would enjoy all the water stuff and entertainment, especially Cirque at Sea in their specialty theater. Since this is our gift to them, we hope we've chosen well.

Thank you to all you answered my questions before and to everybody who posted comments on the Epic on another thread.
Mar 11th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Way to go Sass! I would say it is a good choice, especially for the little one; and a whole lot cheaper than Disney. There should be tons of things to do for the tiny tot as well.

Please post a trip report afterward. Curious to see if things has improved quality and service wise and if they really nickle and dime passengers on everything.

Since you have been on Princess and Carnival recently, you would be well positioned to do a comparison.

After cruising on the Caribbean Princess from Houston this January, I wouldn't recommend departure from Houston as the fog is a bigger issue than anyone realized.

There were 2 fog delays in December, another one in early January (my son and DIL was on board), we went 2 weeks after them and were okay but the one immediately after ours had to cancel a port of call and returned a day early to avoid being fogged in.

Based on that, the chances of getting into weather related delay would be 50-50. Too high for my liking despite the fact that I have always said: a BAD day on a cruise ship is still better than a GOOD day in the office.

Enjoy your trip and looking forward to your report on the cruise!
Mar 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Good one Sass. The Epic has its quirks but has some really cool features as well. The shows are supposed to be wonderful and I think you have made a good choice. Enjoy your cruise and say hello to your hubby for us.
Mar 13th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Guys.

Eschew, sorry I got your quote wrong - close though, wasn't I? Smiling.

After a few months of cold and other not so happy stuff, I am looking forward to this cruise! Happy with the choice and the price and now have to book air and some of the entertainment on the ship. We are going to splurge and do Cirque Dreams at Sea with DD and GD.

Also called a dear friend in Miami and going to visit her family before and after the trip. Another Yea!

Larry, hope you are fully recovered.

DH had surgery a couple of weeks ago (turp procedure) and it wasn't fun. I am great with vet stuff on the cats. Learning to do things for a human was a whole new experience. He is doing well now, though and looking forward to a cruise.

So, to one and all, hope you are cruising or looking forward to one soon.

Yes, I will do a trip report.
Mar 13th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Sass, you could be quoting someone else ... And you are correct in that you should book your shows now. Have a great trip.

Larry: I thought you had fully recovered from your snow shoveling ordeal. Did something else happened?
Mar 14th, 2014, 06:45 AM

I had knee surgery 12/2 for a torn meniscus. I am not fully recovered yet though the knee feels stronger and seems to be able to hold up after long work days on my feet so it's hang in there and keep exercising the darn thing. .
Mar 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM

Get well soon, Larry. Your ship is waiting ...
Mar 14th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Thanks E!