Favorite Hawaiian shore excursions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on the Diamond Princess departing Los Angeles on the Sept. 19th. and not sure if we should book excursions through Princess or arrange on our own? Any suggestions? If anyone has taken the ones with Princess, what are your favorites?
I see the website for Robert's Tours....has anyone used them? (I think I remember reading that they guarantee getting back to the ship on time)
Renting a car ia another option, but we're just concerned about making it back to the ship on time in case of any problems with the car, traffic, etc. Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM

Hi tigerpaw, my family and I took one of the NCL ships about 3 years ago, I'm thinking shore excursions should be similar-here's what we did--Kaui, zipline( the girls did this and loved it), a "movie" tour, fun. in Hilo, a touristy volcano bus trip but all enjoyed it( after all, we are tourists). Maui,whale watching, golf,in the evening Warren and Annabelle show-so much fun. We had planned on doing Haleakala but it rained so we went to Iao Valley state park-beautiful. Honolulu we did Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center,North Shore and on the last day between getting off ship and air home ,a bus tour of "natural highlights". Nothing dissappointed us. I'm not a car rental person because I like to leave the driving to others and the tour drivers have so much information and love their island so much. Of course there's always the stops at the gift shops but they aren't so bad. I would love to go back someday.If you like coffee, sample the coffee in Kauai, just as good a Kona's!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

I see you'll be berthed next to my office, Aloha Tower Marketplace, on the 26th. Here's a link to coupons:
http://www.alohatower.com/promotions.html

Another poster here found that the Bad Ass Coffee prices here were better than in Lahaina. I don't know for sure, since I don't compare prices, but that's what she said. She was on the Zaandam in April.

I have not taken a Roberts tour, but they are very reasonable. They serve multiple islands, which is a plus.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM

p.s. just a different opinion (everyone's taste buds are different!) but I prefer Kona over Kauai coffee.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM

I should clarify, Melissa. I don't think it was Bad Ass coffee I was comparing, but the 10 pack (can't remember the brand) deal at the Aloha Tower Marketplace that was a better price than I saw anywhere else. Prices in general were quite good there, we thought, so if I was to do it over, I wouldn't wait for 'the next place' to buy something I wanted.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
dreamseeker, I will check out the excursions you mentioned.
Melissa, thanks for the coupon link. Aloha Tower sounds like an interesting place.
April, thanks for the tip on coffee prices. I am always one that wants to check prices at the "next place", so is good to know not to do that with the coffee. I do plan to bring some back for myself and others.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM

It could have just been a sale that was on.

Anyway, you can read my trip report on the US board. It's called "Hawaiian Islands cruise ship from Vancouver trip report." We sailed with Holland America but went to most of the same places you will be. In my report I explain why, for us anyway, we would have been better off taking a tour in Kona (my least favourite stop) instead of renting a car. There was a last minute evening tour to a ranch that might have been interesting... if we'd had the energy.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

April,
I have read and printed your trip report.....lots of helpful information! Thanks so much
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:08 PM

You're welcome. I hope you post a report after you get back because I'm sure your experiences will be very different from ours.