food costs in Hawaii

Search

food costs in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
food costs in Hawaii

We are thinking of visiting Hawaii this summer with our family. There will be five of us--2 adults and 3 teenagers. We will be there for about a week--a couple of days and in Honolulu and the rest of the time in Kauai. Could someone give me an estimate of what we will need to spend daily on food if we eat out 1-2 times per day and in the room for the remaining meal. Also, any "must do" activities on Kauai? Thanks, Kimberly
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:35 PM

I did not find the restaurants in Kauai any more expensive than a nice dinner out in Dallas at a nice restaurant. And you can find very affordable places to eat lunch type meals for midday.

We took a nice horseback riding tour in the Poipu area and my daughter and her husband took the helicopter tour and said it was the most incredible tour they had ever taken on any island. It is pretty pricey though as I think I paid $165 each for them to go. My girlfriend said they took the bus tour up to the canyon and it was really good. The bus went way farther than they could have gone in their rental car. But she said the best thing they did was the catamaran tour around the Napali coast.

If you can, get the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman. It is the best one I purchased. I got mine at Barnes & Noble.

I'm sure you will have a great time, but I must say that Kauai was not my favorite of the Hawaiian Islands. I just love the Big Island and am going back there in July.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:59 AM

I stayed with cousins in Honolulu for ten days; it seemed like groceries ran about 50 percent more than in the US, though it varied a lot, with milk and juice being the highest. Bring your Costco membership card.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I am from Boston so the food prices don't seem that expensive to me. You can eat very cheaply at McDonald's or you can go top notch. While in Honolulu grab some of the free info booklets at the airport. They have a lot of two for one deals. I am on my way back to Honolulu and Maui in three weeks. You can really spend within your budget, whatever that may be.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:03 AM

In Kauai one of my favorite places is:
Country Kitchen - Kapaa (city). They have the best banana pancakes. Sort of a local type restaurant with reasonable prices.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Food is very expensive in Hawaii because most everything is shipped from the mainland. If you eat at non-fast food restaurants, look at spending $10pp for lunch & $15pp for dinner. Not including tips of course.

Both times we went to Hawaii, we stopped off at a grocery the first day and bought snacks, drinks, & breakfast foods. That helped to cut down on the price. Or like someone else suggested..a Costco would be economical. It's nice to have snacks & drinks to take with you while on hikes or touring. That way you don't have to make special stops.

Have Fun!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Hi McIroy,
Where are you coming from? I live in Manhattan and I went with my sister and her family from rural Southern New Jersey. She is a thrifty mom and found prices marginally higher but nothing to complain about. I remember he saying "what is all the talk about higher prices in Hawaii I don't see that much of a difference?" I don't see a difference at all from Manhattan. Actually tuna is higher quality and cheaper on Hawaii. I found seafood high in Hanalei town but that is what foodland is for in princeville!!! I don't think the savings are that great at safeway in Kapaa. The pennies you save on in products are outweighed by the lack of variety.

I think people from the midwest or the south might see huge gaps in what they pay at home. Lucky them I guess? we don't get those breaks on the east coast. Also you don't want to look for items that are regionally in season at home. You will pay a premium for out of season fruits and vegitables the same as if you try to buy strawberries in winter at home.

There are breaks to be had on activities. We did your same split with islands two years ago. Horseback riding in Princeville (Kauai) was $90 for an hour and half and only $35 at turtle bay on the North Shore of Oahu. So you need to do the leg work and see where you can find your deals.

I have yet to do a helicopter tour but I am not shy to hike and have witnessed breath taking vistas this way. I don't think you need to do every tourist boat ride, helicopter, parasailing etc...When I went with a group we did horse back riding at turtle bay, sealife park for the kids and a boat ride on the napali. I skipped the boat ride once was enough three years ago and I do find (unless you are there in whale season)that many of the same views of available trecking the Kalalau or Awaphiwaphi trails.

We went back to Kauai for two weeks the following year with one kid and my sister and I. We kayaked, hiked, Swam, snorkled. You really don't need the commercial stuff if you are active. You just don't want to find yourself driving to lookouts and stopping off to swim on the way back. This is easy to do if you are feeling lazy but you will be sorry at the end. In my opinion Hiking and Kayaking are important things to do on Kauai, especially hiking. I loved kayaking that river in Hanalei get an early start for all hiking and kayaking you beat the crowds and the sun.

PS got to the Hawaii visitors bureau website and get a list of local markets you will get deals here on fresh vegitables, fish, leis, bouqets

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:28 PM

If you shop at Safeway, use your membership card. If you don't have one, sign up for one in the store. Same for Foodland, they have a Maikai membership card. Both are free and entitle you to advertised sales. I have seen tourists use these when buying groceries in Hawaii and save a ton of money.

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:35 PM

I agree that 10.00 per/person for lunch and 15.00 for dinner is about right if you need to figure a budget. However, you can save lots by doing breakfast and lunch at your condo, and then dinner out. One place I would recommend for a great night out is Brick Oven Pizza in Kalaheo. Some of the best pizza I have ever eaten, hands down. Also they offer side salads that are very good and very inexpensive. You'll find most chain fast food places on Kauai, like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Kentucky fried Chicken, Subway, etc...if that helps.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM

I found Kauai to be the Cheapest of the Hawaiian Islands. There are a few expensive places but most are afforable(on par with Chicago - where I live). Make sure you take a boat tour of the Napali Coast(if conditions allow).
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:20 PM

What is "expensive" is relative. I would not consider $15 per person for dinner expensive, although some do.

What about the price of beer, wine, and liquor ?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:55 PM

There is a thread on this board called "Cheap Eats Oahu" that will tell you more about affordable good eats! I top it all the time but am too tired today.....
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:15 PM

It can be high. Here are some of our cheap eats.
Boston Pizza sells slices which are actually 2 HUGE slices, enough for two people, for $5.
Maui Tacos - about $6 per person
Spagetti Factory - $6
Ala Moana mall food court has tons of choices.
Hit a farmer's market or chinatown for cheap fruit.
Greek Corner - $10
Teddy's Burgers- $6
Duke's huge breakfast buffet - $10 - $15
Colombia Inn or Zippy's are local cheap eats.
California Pizza Kitchen - $8
Chili's - $8
Get family style at local Chinese places.
You can always grab a cheap tuna roll or plate lunch at local places.
Then there are Taco Bell, BK, KFC, Pizza Hut, Subway, Papa John's, etc.

You can save by buying your own Breakfast, Cokes and snacks etc at Longs, Costco or Sam's.

On Kauai don't miss Dali Deli in Koloa.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Eates kauai go to subway for lunch kauai not known for great food in my book, also there are many local restaurants in kauai that are reasonable like the restaurant next to islander on the beach hotel good steaks,etc. and buffett dinner $8.95. lunch $6.95, 4-5 DAYS IN KAUAI budget $ 100.00 per day plus cook some meals.
Oahu fast food everywhere, dinner can be ok look at coupons in the phone book and local papers. Budget 100.- 150.00 a day.

Activities on oahu go to hanamuua bay for snorkleing and great beach relaxing. On Kauai the best time you can have is go to ( KEE -BEACH ) north end hwy. dead ends there. There is a ridge hike ( moderate to hard) that is unreal , with a view of the napalli coast line, hint hike till you quit smilling and turn back, also lots of water falls on the hike. Then when down walk to the beach and have your lunch ( that you brought with you -no food sold ) and you will find one of the safest and best snorkleing bays in Hawaii. (HINT you will need to rent snorkle gear for the time that you are in kauai and Oahu beleive me it is a must and rent for each person who is to snorkle) nick
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Kal

Kauai Pretty Cheap eats:
Massive hoagys at Safeway in Kapaa, as mentioned take the ol' Safeway club card. About $7-8 and lasts us a few days!.
Hamura's Saimin Stand.
Aussie Tim's BBQ.
Ono Loa, Tropical Burger, Harley's and one other place in the Coconut Marketplace that slips my Fire Rock addled mind.
Olympic Cafe
El Cafe.
Oki Diner.
Rob's Goodtime Grill.
"Taco Tuesday's" at Dukes.
Waimea Brew Co's Nui Nachos. Could fee 2-3 normal people or one "Kal-sized" galoot.
Bubba's either location.
Wild Bill's Deli/I'net Cafe.
The bakery deli in Kukui Grove shopping Ctr. (Supposed to make a decent Po Boy!)
Pupu platter, The Tower, at Pac Cafe.
Ono Diner.
Country Kitchen.
Camp House Grill.
Burger Hut.
Joe's on the Green.
I think you can have a good b'fast, lunch or dinner for under $10/pp. at all of these places.

Brick Oven Pizza is a bit on the high $ide but we'll save all year long for a few visits there!
257!
Kal
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:59 AM

Just so you folks know, the high price on food isn't because of the shipping costs. The fact is, it doesn't really cost that much more to ship things here than it would be to freight train it into coastal USA locations. It has to do with inventory control (warehouses here pay stiff fees), pyramid State general exise tax scheme, and lack of competition. The latter being the most influential on neighbor islands; you'll notice food prices on Oahu supermarkets are not that much higher than other major coastal cities.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:51 AM
iceeu2

Add the Kalapaki Beach Hut to Kal's cheap eats places. It has a very good breakfast with great view.
If you will do a seach on my name, you will find a trip report, its in 3 sections, but some info you might want.
Have tons of fun.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Kal

iceeU2,
Thx for the correction on the Kalapaki Beach Hut.
I listed it as "Burger Hut". Probably didn't want ot confuse it with the not so inexpensive Beach House!

But the Kalapaki Beach Hut is a great place for pretty cheap eats. Buffalo meat, too. Nice little view from the upstairs dining area.
While sitting up there one morning, while looking up towards the little hill behind Cafe Portofino, we saw some kids "flying thru the trees"!!!
We finally figured out that the condos had a swimming pool up there and they were jumping up off the diving board. Duhhh.

Did you ever cut and paste the other 2 sections to your fine trip report so all 3 are right there if anyone does a text search?
You still have a "Kauai Jones"?

256!
Kal
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:56 AM
iceeu2

Someone did the links on my trip report, but I can't do that fancy cutting and pasting stuff.
Yes, still have the "Kauai Jones", but now I just have to settle for my next mini vacation in this beautiful part of the country we live in.
Six college buddies are getting together (no husbands) and renting a beautiful cabin in the North Georgia Mountains.....So, I will take my video and photos of Kauai. Where do you think I could find a recipe for Hula Pie? That would be good to feed them!!

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Kal

No Ga. Mountains sounds very nice.

But, you know even if you have the recipe for Hula Pie, it just won't taste the same.
I remember when I actually found Kona Brew Co Fire Rock locally. Took it home, iced it down, took a sip. BAMM! I was right back on the 4th barstool at The Sand Bar.

2nd sip. BAMM...back in Gloomtown!
Good luck and have fun. Had one of my better hangovers in Georgia!
Kal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -