Reload this Page >

Ever make a call from the ship?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Kevin

I see that phone in my cabin and the price ($7-10 per minute) to make a call. I wonder who uses that phone except for an emergency.<BR><BR>I overheard a family chewing out their 15 year-old daughter because she racked up $400 worth of calls to her boyfriend by day 2.<BR><BR>Unless you have an emergency, why would you ever use the ship to shore phone?<BR><BR>Possibly I can fathom if you ran a small business and you had to check in atthe office for a few minutes. Otherwise, it is crazy.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Anna

My sister called our mom ship-to-shore just to talk------ON HER WEDDING NIGHT! She's divorced now.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:42 AM
guy

Anna, maybe that is some insight as to why your sister is divorced. She should not have been on the phone on her wedding night.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Anna

Duh, ya think?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Paul Thearult

Here's a good reason: One may have loved ones at home and miss them. If they only talk once a day for a couple of minutes it will cost less than the price of an auto tune-up. Granted it is much more than a phone card used on the islands but port time might not be the ideal time to call loved ones. The better time is in the evening when everyone is home. Therefore cabin phone.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ma

Paul, where the heck did you get the comparison of an auto tune up? Come on now?<BR><BR>Phone calls from a ship are expensive. Most people have nothing so important in their lives that they cannot wait until their 3, 4, 5, or 7 day cruise has ended to call someone about.<BR><BR>Just because you have family that you care about does not mean you need to call them. I think most humans realize that their loved ones need a break and when they go on vacation it would be crazy to expect a call from someone on a cruise.<BR><BR>People who use the ship phones feel that they are more important than they actually are.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:48 AM
SueW

We were on the Golden Princess this past February. On Valentines Day the ship had a special rate for in-cabin phone calls...$1.00 a minute. Since we left our small children at home, we called them to say Hi! Other than that special rate, we only would use the phone in an emergency. Also, we took our cell phone with us this time. We used the cell to call home from St. Thomas. You first have to register phone on the Caribbean Network for a certain period, like 24hrs. (can't remember how much that was), then per minute charges. When I got the phone bill, it was like $56.00. It would have been cheaper to go to one of those phone centers. Live and learn..

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Kenneth

Yes and it was expensive.