Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Phone calls from home to the ship (RCCL)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:44 PM
Jacque

I understand it's very expensive to call from the ship, so we're planning to use pay phones at the ports. But what if my children need to get ahold of me? Is there a place where I can find the number to reach the ship? I've looked on RCCL website but I can't seem to find it.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:42 PM
Sandra

An emergency number to call is usually included with your final documents information. If it is not, ask your travel agent to call the cruise line -- or call them yourself and request it.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:29 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Jacque,<BR><BR>Another alternative if you plan on calling home or if your children would like to talk to you often would be to rent a satellite phone which you can use on the ship and in any port. The ship uses the same type of system. Most companies have a basic plan for $99 plus $30 Fed Ex shipping both ways for 10 days. You get 10 free minutes and $3.99 per minute after that. $199 for 30 free minutes and $3.49 per minute after the 30. Ship phones are about $9 to $10 per minute. Pay phones are almost the same and you do not have the convenience.<BR><BR>Another way to go that is very reasonable is to find out if your ship has an internet cafe and you can e-mail back and forth.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Phone

I was surprised last month on the Century. The price per-minute listed on the phone in the cabin was $6.95. Maybe more taxes, etc. are added, I don't know. I always use the phones at the port--either a pre-paid phone card from home or buy one in the country I am in.<BR>(But I don't have a company or kids to check on at home).<BR> And a definite YES, to final documents having all the needed info to reach you while on the ship. Celebrity even has it on a convenient tear out page to give out. <BR> Renting that satellite phone sounds very expensive to me. But judge what your needs are (and piece of mind)!!

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:20 AM
Shadow

Carnival also has the tear out sheet on their final documents-received mine this week.<BR>Shadow

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Paul Therault

That $6.95 for a Celebrity phone call certainly was a bargain since the last 2 ships I sailed the price was $9.50 per minute.<BR><BR>Royal Caribbean is a bargain @ $7.95.<BR><BR>Paul