Tux Rentals from Cruiseline-RCCL

Oct 27th, 2002, 05:23 AM
J & S

Tux Rentals from Cruiseline-RCCL

Am going on first cruise in 2/03. Would like to rent a tux from the cruiseline for the convenience, rather than rent and pack one from home. Knowing that all tuxes are not the same in size, what happens if we get on board and the tux does not fit correctly. Are we stuck with an ill-fit tux for the week or does the cruiseline have someone that can make adjustments to the tux. Does anybody know. Has this happen to anyone before? Would love to hear from you.

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Jack Sigano

Exactly why are you renting a tux? Obviously it's for dress up nights, but do you think all the men will be wearing tuxedos? About 99% of the men will be wearing dark business type suits. The men who do wear tuxedos usually are doing about their 20th or more cruise and have worn that tux on at least 10 cruises. I have been on 16 cruises with 3 more booked up to March 03 and have never worn a tux. But if you feel that a tux will make your cruise complete, then go for it.

Oct 27th, 2002, 09:38 AM
chris

I would like to know an answer to the original poster's question also. My husband is 6'5" and am curious on how reliable the sizing is. And to satisfy Jack's curiosity, we live in Europe and and plan on doing some extensive travel in the US before going on our Alaska Cruise. It just seems much more convenient for us to rent a tux, then to pack a suit.

Oct 27th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Peter

I believe RCCL uses the cruiseformalwear.com service. You can book them online or use the entry form that comes with your documents. Until recently I have used them for all of our cruises. I have never had a fit problem, but I think they have a stock of tuxes on board just for the problem you're asking about.

Jack - you don't know what you're talking about. I've been on five RCCL cruises in the past three years to the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe and I would conservativley say at least 25-30% of the men wore tuxes. My wife and daughters really enjoy the "dress up" part of the cruise experience and we look pretty elegant for our formal night pictures. They're hanging up in the hallways of our house.

Oct 27th, 2002, 12:37 PM
mms

We took a cruise through the Norwegian Fjords this summer in the middle of a three week trip. No way were we carting along a suit - Renting a tux worked perfect. My husband went to a tux rental shop and they professionally measured him. We faxed the measurements to the cruise formal wear company. The tux fit perfect - and if it hadn't - I asure you our room steward would have found a new tux. In fact he came in the first morning and specifically asked if the tux fit and if he needed to do anything to make it work better. You shouldn't have any problems. On our cruise probably 40% of the men were in tuxes. A black suit would have worked fine - But we sure are glad we didn't lug one all around Europe on the rest of our trip.

Oct 27th, 2002, 03:48 PM
J&S

My thanks to those of you who replied about our concern regarding the sizing of the rented tuxes from the cruiseline and understanding that we choose not to lug around a suit from home. As one poster indicates "Dressing Up" is part of the fun and excitement in the cruise experience---something that we are choosing to do as well as many others---judging from the response of this poster. Jack, obviously has nothing better to do with his life. He just wants to come across as a know-it-all. If he chooses to answer any poster, he should just stick to the questions at hand.

Oct 28th, 2002, 09:17 AM
xman

Don't waste your money renting a tux. A nice suit will suffice if you wish to be formal.

It is a wonderful idea, but few people will do the same.

I almost did this as well and I am glad I didn't spend the money.

Oct 28th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Peter

So xman - what percentage of men wear tuxes on Carnival cruises?

Oct 28th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Sheli

J&S:

My husband rented a tux on the first RCCL cruise we ever went on and he will not do it again. The size was ill-fitting, two buttons fell off and the arms were too long. It just didn't look right on him, unlike his tailored suits at home. And, the tux did not arrive until after we had set sail, we were concerned that it would not arrive since it was not in our room when we unpacked. (logistical error that was corrected) We noticed that only a small number of cruisers were even in tuxes...so the whole "dress up" evening was a bit disappointing for us. We have the picture stuck in a photoalbum somewhere...not "hanging in the hall" worthy.

In all our subsequent cruises he has brought a dark suit (tailored for him) for formal evenings and has been more comfortable and (I think) better dressed, than in the rented tux. It was not a big deal to "lug" around, and the dry-cleaning/laundry services are more than adequate to take care of any pressing that needs to be done.

IMO, if you plan to cruise a lot, and like the idea of wearing a tux, you might just want to go to a place like Men's Warehouse and buy one for $200, that way you know it will fit AND look good on you.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

Sheli

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Sherri

J & S - Rent the tux and don't worry!!! My husband has rented both on RCCL and HAL by calling the cruise rental # provided with the docs. They ask for your measurements over the phone and I thought that was a little iffy but both times they fit like they were made for him. On HAL one of the shirts was about 5 sizes too small and they replaced that onboard so they obviously have an onboard supply. Yes you can "get away" with a suit but why do you want to? It's your first cruise so why not make it really special. Our experience was that the formal nights consisted of more tuxes than not. Besides there's something about a man in a tux....

Oct 28th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Paul Therault

Here's a tidbit of information. To purchase a tux that would be in excellent shape just call a few large formal shops and see what they charge for a used tux. You will be surprised what great condition their "old" tuxes are in at one quarter of the price.

Paul

Oct 29th, 2002, 07:21 AM
judy

My husband has rented tuxes from Floating Formals in Miami and they were spectacular! He owns his own tux now but instead of schlepping it, he still uses them if the line is one that Floating Formals services.

Oct 31st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Peter

Paul's idea is a good one; but you don't need to call around. Search the internet. Here's where I found mine:
http://www.tuxtown.com/

Nov 3rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
KatieH

Just returned from a cruise on Grandeur of the Seas. Our info from RC said you had to place your tux rental request prior to leaving. Since my husband's tux still fit, we didn't have to rent. But once on board, they advertised rentals available the entire week, so they obviously have some spares on board. I think there were probably 20 -30% of men in tuxes. The ones in business suits also looked very nice. I would say if you don't really want to wear a tux, there is no need to feel presssured into it - you will look fine in a suit. But if you do want to wear a tux, go for it. It is just fun to get all dressed up and go formal sometimes.