European cruise or African safari

Aug 21st, 2008, 04:55 AM
JYD
Original Poster

European cruise or African safari

I know the two are miles apart, but we are trying to plan a trip next year for our 25th anniversary. These are the two trips still on our "to do" list. Any ideas on either? Thanks
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM

African Safari! We've taken a number of cruises (often to fairly exotic places), and we have enjoyed them immensely. But we thought our Safari experience was even better. We went in 2006 and plan to go again -- probably in 2010. Actually our cruise agent's firm happens to also specialize in Africa -- she just really likes it. Specifically, it concentrates on Safaris in S. Africa. In fact, she's taking a huge group (about 70 I think) next month that is splitting up to go to various game camps. We went with just about 20 people. The agency is well known, and has very loyal clients. If interested, take a look at brownandkeenetravel.com. They have a section of the site devoted to Africa.
Aug 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM

We did a cruise for our 50th anniversary,but if we were able to do it we would have loved a safari...GO FOR IT!!
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM

Go for the safari. We did our 1st safari 4 years ago and 2 years ago ,did our second. There were only 4 of us. A private safari is no more expensive than a group tour. Try Uncharted Outposts for great service-or, you can do it yourself for less by consulting the Africa board.A safari is the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy.
Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM

Another vote for the safari. It is very special, an incredible experience.

We enjoyed very much Masai Mara in Kenya - it is unbelievable how close you come to wildlife.

There are several lodges. We stayed in Kichwa Tembo, which is a tent lodge (but expect tents with bathrooms and hot showers and a swimming-pool).

www.kichwatembo.com

Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:33 AM

Safari hands down...one can always take a cruise altho you really don't experience much of the culture on an European cruise which I would do by land.
Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

An African safari of course! We have done several cruises and two trips to Africa. They cannot be compared. We visited Botswana and Zambia in June 2006 and Tanzania in March of this year. Both wonderful beyond words! Go with a private safari to Tanzania or Kenya and look at Wilderness Safari for Botswana (high end camps, but worth every penny). I would avoid a group safari if possible. Look at Africa board here on Fodors.
Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
JYD
Original Poster

Thank you all! You have helped my decision...Now, to find the right travel agency and make it happen! I've planned our European trips, but i think for this, I will defnitely use an agency. Thanks again!

Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM

If I would be healthy enough to go on a safari, I would definitely pick that over any cruise!

My son took 1,400 pictures in 3 weeks! And he talks and talks and talks about it.
Sep 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM

You are right in doing it now. A safari can be a strenuous and challenging tour and not for when you are very mature. Long hours on game rides, rough terrain, early mornings, dust and dirt. A fabulous journey as long as you are healthy and able.
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM

JYD--Don't assume that you'll need a travel agent for an African safari, especially if you've planned international vacations in the past. Last year, I spent about 3 months planning a 2-week driving trip (including 2 safaris) in South Africa for my family of 4. I used 2 guidebooks (we're Lonely Planet and Rough Guide kind of people), a good road map of S.A.,the internet, and the phone and got EXACTLY the kind of vacation we wanted. We all agreed it was one of the best trips we ever took.
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM

I would go for the safari while you're young enough and in good health. There will be lots of time in your future to to on a European cruise.