Europe in November

Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Europe in November

We are thinking of a cruise in November, transatlantic, starting in Barcelona and going to Ft. Lauderdale.
Any thoughts on cruising in November? Is it cold, will we not be able to lie on deck and read on sea days? Does it matter that it will be in the high 50's much of the time, and probably colder on the water? Are 5 sea days in a row too much? I am a warm weather person but really would like to do this, if it is not too limiting. I am also an outdoor loving person.
KatyDee
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Make no mistake - it will be cold in Barcelona/the Med/North Atlantic in November. The weather will not start to warm up until you head south west. Five days at sea will not be too much as depending on which ship you have chosen, there will be plenty of things to do to keep you occupied.
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
P_M

KatyDee, (or anyone else who would care to answer) I'm curious as to why a trans-Atlantic cruise is of interest to you. I love cruises but one day at sea is quite enough for me, and there's no way I would want 5 days at sea. And if I'm going to Europe, I want to get there pronto.

I hope I'm not coming across as critical of those who do enjoy such cruises, we all have different travel styles. But I have always wondered why some people like trans-Atlantic cruises. Thanks.
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM

One of the reasons I've fallen in love with trans-atlantic sea days is that it really give you a chance to CRUISE..to sit and read, do a crossword puzzle, take a course... and inbetween or before.. visit a new port. There are several cruise lines that are port intensive..no days at sea...that;s not for us. A day at sea, a port, a day at sea, a port... it give you time to rest us for your next adventure.. Right now I've got my eye on three trans-atlantic cruises from Celebrity and all three have at least five days at sea before they stop at aother port. We've been spoiled.. I've never been fond of a port a day..everything seems to blend in...one island looking like another..
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM

I agree with you Parrotmum. I used to be an assistant purser on cruise ships (out of Southampton, UK) and passengers on Med cruises often used to say that they hadn't seen or done half of what was available on board as they hadn't had the time. I think you should use the days at sea to unwind, before the dash around the ports. (From a totally selfish point of view, we liked the days at sea as it gave us time to prepare all the immigration documentation for the passengers which was sometimes a nightmare!)