Cruises in Europe - suggestions needed?

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruises in Europe - suggestions needed?

Looking for suggestions for cruises in Europe. We have traveled Europe rather extensively but have never been on a cruise. I am hoping for a Med cruise, either Italy/Greece or France/Italy. Hubby would like to explore option of Scandanavia cruise. Anyone gone on any of these? Any other suggestions? Sharing of any personal experiences would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:57 AM

We've taken two European cruises, one in the Med, and one in Northern Europe. We enjoyed both. If you are looking for some rest & relaxation, I wouldn't recommend it.

Most ships hop from port to port, so the routine was: get up early, catch the train/tour/taxi to see the sights, get back to the ship, get ready for dinner/formal night, and get up the next morning and do the same routine.

If you do chose a European cruise, I would look for one with some at-sea days so you have a chance to relax.

We are now looking at some of the European River Cruises. I'm thinking one of the Rhine & Mosel would be nice.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:33 PM

we have done 2 Med Cruises== One was a 12 day Princess Cruise -Lisbon to Venice...and the other was Windsurf ( part of Windstar Cruise line) for 7 days, Rome to Nice...

I LOVED Windsurf as it went into tiny , out of the way Italian and French ports...

Also did a River cruise down the Rhone in France from Arle to Lyon..TERRIFIC scenery, but little to no nitelife on board...still, I would do it again..
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM

We did a 17 day Scandinavian/Baltic cruise on the Oreint Lines Marco Polo.

We liked the smaller ship, the combination of the fjords and the cities, and the three extra days in Copenhagen.

It was port intensive, but if we were on a land based trip, we'd be on the go every day, so that was fine with us.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:04 AM

I did the Med for 7 days, summer of 02 on the Splendour (Royal Carib). Ports included one in France, three in Italy, and Malta. We sailed in and out of Barcelona. As far as getting up early, catching tours, rushing back for formal night, etc. that is up to you. I opted OUT of the numerous tours offered and chose to do my own thing. I left the ship at my leisure (or stayed on board) and didn't feel I'd missed out on anything, since I too have traveled Europe quite a bit, just as you say you have. The idea of unpacking once and seeing a lot of places, plus the relaxation on a ship, it's a great way to go!
My hubby would like to do the Scandanavian cruise sometime, but no plans for that one yet.
Carol