Reload this Page >

Eastern or Western Carribean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:28 AM
sue

Hi experienced cruisers,<BR><BR>I'm geared up for a first cruise for both my hubby and I in March,2003. I've decided Celebrity is the line - now the itinerary...Eastern or Western Carribean? We are in our late 40's/mid 50's. Any ideas?? <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Sue

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:34 AM
JimM

Since you've already selected Celebrity, why not do their Ultimate Caribbean Cruise -- 10 days doing both East and West Caribbean?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:53 AM
Peter

As always with these kinds of questions, you must give us more to go on before we can give you a meaningful answer. What are your interests - water activities, cultural sites, relaxation, etc.<BR><BR>Also, curious why you've ruled out the Southern Caribbean?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:27 AM
sue

Thanks for the prompt responses. Sorry I wasn't giving enough info - hubby and I like to snorkel and explore new places, relax, and enjoy a fine glass of wine. <BR><BR>I had ruled out the Southern & ultimate because I thought those were longer itineraries (perhaps incorrect on the Southern - I've just started researching). I'm taking pity on my Mom here - she'll be staying at home with our 16 year old while we are gone!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:35 AM
Lenore

We've done both a Western and a Southern with Celebrity....and loved them equally. Southern itineraries start and end in San Juan PR (for 7 day cruises). We've never done an Eastern itinerary because they always seem to have too many days at sea. Just read up on the ports included with each cruise and go from there. You won't be disappointed with Celebrity.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:54 AM
Lydia

Hi Sue,<BR>My husband and I did a Western Caribbean for New Year's in 1999 on Princess. We love Princess but didn't care for the Western Caribbean because <BR>it offers too many water activities so you will probably love it.<BR><BR>We like the days at sea best because that's when the ship's staff plans a lot of shipboard activities which we love. Was disappointed in Celebrity too,to Alaska, especially after reading so many good things about it on this forum.<BR>They just don't offer enough fun onboard activities.<BR>We just did our 18th cruise with #19 coming up in Feb.<BR>Happy sailing,<BR>Lydia

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Cruiser

Hi Sue,<BR> I just got back from cruising with Celebrity to the East and the Western Caribbean. East (St. Thomas/St. Maarten--great for shopping, but also sightseeing) I really don't care for the Puerto Rico stop (4:30 arrival and it gets dark in a couple hrs.)<BR> <BR>Western--I enjoyed Key West, great Grand Cayman as always (storm kept us out last week though) Cozumel great for ruins, and excellent water sports. Even Jamaica seemed better this trip (no warnings of robberies, etc.)<BR><BR> I have done these islands many times, so I am now into shopping and resting on board (in my 50's) and enjoying Celebrities great food and service. Not lots of activities on board as Carnival, etc. but several newbies said they had too many choices on what to do on board the Century.<BR> <BR>There are two at seas days on both itineraries (sleep in late, etc.--I love them).<BR><BR>I don't think you can go wrong with Celebrity. Keep doing your research and match the ships to your needs and personality!<BR><BR>Enjoy! Happy cruising!<BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
snorkelman

good snorkeling can be found on either eastern or western itineraries. If you go to Cozumel, great snorkeling is at Chankanob National Park, which is a short taxi ride from the pier.<BR><BR>Jamacia and the Caymen islands are known for their water sports.<BR><BR>As for the east, I have snorkeled all over, and since most ships stop in St. Thomas, you will have your pick of about 3 decent snorkeling areas.<BR><BR>Just decide what other things you want to do besdes snorkeling because you can do it on either itinerary. keep in mind that the snorkeling in Key West is not that great (I live in Florida) and most Western itineraries stop in Key West.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:14 AM
sue

Thanks to all for the input to my decision - I'll keep reading and looking for a bit but it sounds like either way I go I'll find plenty of things to do that will be fun!<BR><BR>Thanks for taking the time to reply,<BR><BR>Sue

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:53 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Sue,<BR><BR>Since it is your first cruise it doesn't make a difference whether you sail Eastern or Western. One positive is that the Eastern itineraries are usually less expensive. So sail Eastern.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Jo

Think of it this way and see which appeals to you more.<BR><BR>Eastern has more shopping.<BR><BR>Western has more excursion options and if you are active this would be the cruise for you.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:11 AM
Peter

A couple more thoughts for you to consider:<BR><BR>First, I strongly disagree with Paul, the Western cruises are much cheaper than the Eastern because of the saturation of more ships in the Western this season (several out of New Orleans, Galveston, Tampa and of course Miami and FLL). Second, if you have 10 or 11 days for a cruise and don't want to spend the additional airfare for San Juan, Celebrity does offer 10,11 day Southern cruises out of FLL.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
sue

Thanks Jo for summing it up as such. I wasn't in line when they handed out that shopping gene to the women of the world, so that holds no appeal for me. It's not the additional airfare that steers me away from the 10 or 11 day intineraries, it's the amount of time away from home. That's a lot to ask even of a wonderful Mom like mine (who will be watching my teen and my cats). <BR><BR>Stopping to pick up brochures from a travel agent.... one step closer with your help!<BR><BR>Sue <BR><BR>Sue

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:10 PM
Paul Therault

Of course you disagree with me Peter. Don't you always?<BR><BR>Paul