cruise suggestions

Search

cruise suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise suggestions

My husband and I would like to try a cruise for the first time this summer. There are so many choices, and it has become very confusing. Does anyone have suggestions regarding cruises that would appeal to my 2 daughters, ages 21 and 18.
We've already traveled alot, so we are looking just to relax and have fun.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM

Many questions to ask: Caribbean or Europe? What time frame since hurricane season starts in June. As for cruiselines, I would say either Princess or Royal Caribbean and even Celebrity. I personally like leaving out of San Juan since I like the Southern Caribbean better. Hope this helps.
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Well for relaxation, having fun and with two young daughters a Caribbean cruise with Carnival sounds good. We took the Destinty a few yrs. ago with our son and his girlfriend who were both 21 then so the age correration is close. We all had a blast. We left out of San Juan and if you choose to leave from there you may want to consider a few days pre or post cruise exploring PR. There is alot to see and do. For extensive passenger as well as professional reviews on all cruise lines go to: www.cruisecritic.com. BTW you may to steer clear of HAL which is a very well rated line but tends to be more formal. Oerhaps this may not be the best for two younger girls. JM2C. Have fun!
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:51 AM

We went to Alaska with our 21 and 24 year old daughters and they LOVED it. IMO, it is so much more memorablethan the "commercialization" of most of the Caribbean ports where you're swarmed with locals trying to sell tacky souveniers. Another wonderful option is the Mediterranean. I'm sure they'd LOVE that too!! Last option that comes to mind is Bermuda, another great, fun place.

Maybe I've just been on way too many Caribbean cruises through the years but IMO, it's just a waste of time and $$. Of course the cruise line and destination will depend on the time of year you want to cruise and the budget.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:43 AM

You might want to consider Bermuda. It's my favorite cruise destination, and I've cruised in many areas, incl Med and west coast of Mex, plus numerous times in the Carib.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM

If you are a first time cruise, I suggest you opt for newer ship and an itinerary that will minimize the potential for bad weather.

The southern caribbean would be my first choice as well unless Alaska appeals (I do not think your daughters would enjoy as much as the nightlife is boring, IME).

Serenade of the Seas is beautiful, Adventure of the Seas is bigger and both offer a lot for all of you.

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Where do you go to find when hurricane seasons are for each destination you considering? Thanks
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM

In Florida, hurricane season is June thru Sept-the strongest storms are usually around labor day weekend when the waters are the warmest. Most the islands south are the same time frame.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:59 AM

I live in FL and our hurricane season lasts til November.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I always enjoy the carnival legen, if you like to party and have fun. Otherwise royal and the other lines are more subdued.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I don't think Royal Caribbean is subdued, after all they still have the sexy legs, horse racing and Quest games.Princess and Celebrity are more subdued. If you do Carnival, at least pick one of the newest and largest ships. I've been on a couple of the smaller ones and couldn't wait to get off, honestly. In the summer, if you do a Carib cruise there will be lots of families with kids. Great for them, maybe not you, but I think your girls would love the Navigator or Mariner. Mine did! As far as the ports, i agree that some are awful (Nassau) but then, you can take ferries from St Thomas to St John or arrange private snorkeling sails, etc. Lots of ways to escape the crowds. We actually enjoy skipping ports and staying on the ship when it's empty. On the Eagle class ships, there's so much to do that you might want to stay aboard!