Dress Code for kids on Disney Magic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for a cruise on the Disney Magic next month. We received our tickets, and it says no shorts as a dress code for dinner. Does this include kids? I'm sure there will be nights that dressing up will be required, but I was thinking shorts would be okay, at least for the kids.<BR><BR>Any feedback?
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:00 PM

The Disney website deals very extensively with dress codes (actually, I find it very much more detailed than other lines).<BR><BR>Nowhere does it say shorts are acceptable for boys. Reading it tells me the only evening occasion for shorts (on a person of any age) is the Island dinner.<BR><BR>Clearly they want every evening meal to be somewhat special so I'd take that to mean pretty little dresses for girls and long pants for any male over 3 years old.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

I did read the information they sent. I was just inquiring from those who have cruised the Magic before, if this is indeed the case. I have taken cruises, but not Disney, and I know that every night isn't a dress up occasion.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:49 AM

I cruised the Magic and they most certainly do not expect dresses for girls every night. When you dine in the nice restaurant (Lumiere's), people were more dressed up, no shorts for the kids mostly, but in the caribbean restaurant and in Animator's Palate there were many kids in shorts (nice shorts, like khaki or cargo) and collared shirts. Girls had on capri's, sundresses, etc.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nina,<BR>That's helpful information for packing.<BR>My daughter wouldn't mind dressing up, but I don't think my son would appreciatit eve ery night!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:34 AM

The Disney website is very specific that shorts are not acceptable except for some venues. There is no dispensation for age.<BR><BR>Somewhere along the line, kids have to learn that society places rules on them, and their wants are not paramount<BR><BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:36 AM

When we were on a cruise we were surprised that our tee-shirt-and-ratty-jeans son was very willing to dress appropriately for dinner - most kids want to fit in more than they want to wear their usual garb. My daughter went on Disney Magic with her grandmother last spring and reported that &quot;even the boys looked decent at dinner&quot; - translated that means shirt with collar, tie and/or jacket.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:02 PM

First of all, my kids wore blazers and ties too, ON FORMAL NIGHT. This was certainly not the case on the other nights. As I said, my kids have sailed Disney, RCCL and Celebrity, with Disney being the least formal line. MANY boys were wearing nice shorts to dinner, contrary to borderlady's edicts.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:32 PM

The question is not what will be tolerated in the dining room, but rather, what is appropriate. Appropriate is following the posted guidelines. <BR><BR>Disney didn't just spend a couple minutes to dash off those dress guidelines . I'm certain careful thought went into their clear but respectful statement. Those ARE the expectations. <BR><BR>I'd guess a majority of families respected and complied with the rules, too. <BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Lew

No wonder IBM suggested you find employment elsewhere.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM

Lew, what are you talking about? I quit my job years ago to stay home with my children. You might also want to investigate these delusions you are having about me along with your bizarre disorder concerning children in shorts.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:42 PM

I'm contributing a valid answer to Faye, who wanted information from someone who has cruised Disney.<BR><BR>I don't have to argue that dress codes are just suggestions and not rules because it's a simple fact, not debatable.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:16 PM

If I dare to add a serious and on-topic response. <BR><BR>If one of the kids is a boy, if you ask around you can probably find a friend with a kid's sports jacket to borrow - why buy one if you don't have to. In our neighborhood there is a boy's blazer that has been to more weddings, funerals and bar mitvah's on more kids than anyone will ever know. We don't even know who the original owner is.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM

Gail, what a neat idea! Boys grow so rapidly between 8 and 12, it would be great if more neighborhoods would &quot;share&quot; that way. <BR><BR>