Does anyone sleep well on cruises?

Jan 26th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Ted

Does anyone sleep well on cruises?

I just returned from my first cruise, we liked it EXCEPT for the difficulty sleeping. I usually sleep well at home at while traveling.

Why did my wife and I have trouble sleeping, because:

Of the feeling of vibration from the engine on my bed.

The loud roar of the engine and waves.

The motion of the ship hitting the waves.

The activities that go late into the night and the loud talking and yelling of drunks out in the hall.

The extra motion and activity related to going into port at 6 am.

The small hard single beds.

How can anyone sleep under these conditions?

Jan 26th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Kevin

It usually takes me four nights to get use to the motion of the boat. MOst people on the cruise look tired to me.

Jan 26th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Sue

I am just the opposite. I sleep exceptionally well on a cruise. I think the motion is soothing and usually we get up early and go all day so at bedtime I am real tired. Sorry you don't sleep well on your vacation.

Jan 26th, 2003, 10:53 AM
mary

We usually try to have a balcony on board. But our best nights sleep was when we had an inside room, it was dark and quiet. We slept until 10:00 a.m. (we usually get up by 6:00, of course we went to bed later on the cruise, but never have slept so late!) Balcony choice is always a gamble, as sometimes we have very loud neighbors, and wake up when they do and go to sleep when they do. So, it's kind of luck.

Jan 26th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Amy

Just went on the ship "Fantasy" and had a wonderful time. It was my first cruise and was somewhat what I expected. We were on the lowest deck towards the back of the boat in an oceanview room. We both slept VERY well- the beds were so comfortable. Getting into port at 6 am was the only thing that woke us up- the bed totally vibrated and it was fairly noisy. But we didnt mind as we wanted to get up and get off the boat to see the islands. Our room was very stable- up top rooms - whew.... have a few cocktails and you could really feel the boat sway. We would definitely go again and stay near the bottom part of the ship in the middle.

Jan 26th, 2003, 05:26 PM
sandi

As for me, I sleep fine!!! best sleep I ever get. The engine noise covers up some of the other nocturnal noise, if you know what I mean (snore~!~!) and the gentle rocking is just like a baby's cradle...snooze happy, that's me. if you have real trouble, just try a noise maker (emits white noise) and that balances every other little noise.
It's great. !!!!!

Jan 26th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Cruiser

Totally agree with you, Sandi!!
In fact about every time I walk into the cabin, the bed seems to be "calling my name". If you know what I mean.
Love that rocking ocean motion!!

Jan 26th, 2003, 06:43 PM
ParrotMom

Sleep like a baby with the gentle rocking... Did do a trans-atlantic where we hit a storm and I bounced around on the bed...badly..lol Scared me enough to remember where the life preserver was...lol Interesting enough we request a cabin not far from the elevator...never been a problem. Like to stay mid-ship..have a tendency to get seasick..