Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what happened to Cruise Value Center?

Nov 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

We'd always used them to book our cruises-- found them very reliable and less expensive than any other discounter. Am curious to know what happened to this outfit.
Nov 28th, 2008, 03:27 AM

I don't know of any details but they went out of business.
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM

They went belly-up. Blame the economy, maybe. Many agents didn't know ahead of time. We followed ours to a new agency and transferred our booking over.
Nov 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I'm wondering how to contact my agent there. I liked her. Are you allowed to post that kind of info here-- e.g. what the new agency is? Thanks for responses.
Nov 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM

My TA was working for Cruise Value Center and now he is with Cruise.com. He told me many agents moved over there, may be your one too. If you post her name, I'll ask him to check if she's there.
Dec 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Her name is Sharon Parchment. I called cruise.com and she's not listed. I suppose there are any number of discounters out there (tho who knows for how long they'll be in business).
Dec 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM

Try advanced Google, maybe she has her own website, or her name is listed somewhere?
Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:32 AM

Well it seems the new owners were a bunch of crooks. They were accepting the final payments for cruises that were booked by clients but never sent the money to the cruise lines. Thus, the clients now have a cruise that is NOT payed for and the money is gone into the pocket of the new owners. It sounds like criminal charges are likely and the shafted clients are on the hook to work with their credit card companies to get this resolved. Of course any clients that paid with real cash have larger problems.

The founder had sold it last year and at that time it was a solid company with revenues in 40+ million range.

This information was all included in a lengthy article in a travel trade magazine just the other day.
Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

wow! that's an awful and amazing story. Can you tell me, please, how to read the full article.
Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

poss,
Was Sharon outside or inside agent for CVC?
Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Not sure what the terms "outside" and "inside" mean.
Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM

Inside agent is direct employee who works in agency facilities, and outside is a contractor or affiliate who can be located anywhere.
Dec 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks-- Sharon is (was!) inside.
Dec 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM

I'm one of the unfortunate people who paid Cruise Value Center for my upcoming cruise - with a check - and they never forwarded my money to the cruise lines... They cashed my check on 10/13 and went out of business on 11/11, according to the internet stories I've seen.

As far as I can tell, I've got no recourse, and I can't find anyone that is willing to tell me what to do to get my money back...

If anyone has any information, I'd LOVE to hear from you. (michelenor at roadrunner dot com) I'm scouring the internet looking for a class action lawsuit or something.. and in the meantime, trying to figure out how to pay for my cruise for a second time.. The cruise line has not been helpful at all.
Dec 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I wish I could help with your situation but can't. However thru www.insuremytrip.com I was able to get insurance with Amer. Express which covred bankruptcy with the agency/TA. Also try using your credit card next time. Thats always better than a check. Good luck.
Dec 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Michele,
I would file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs.
Maybe one of them could help you.You can file right online.
Good Luck