Search

Do you fly in the day of departure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2022, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you fly in the day of departure?

Hi all,

With our Spain trip put on a hold a few months, we are thinking about a cruise out of Seattle to Alaska. If the ship departs at 4pm, can we fly up the morning of departure? Or is it too risky to possibly miss the ship?

Thank you!
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 03:39 AM
P_M

We did an Alaska cruise last year from Seattle and it was fabulous.

For any cruise in any part of the world I would not even consider flying to the port on the date of departure. There are too many possibilities for something to go wrong. On the day before your trip take an early morning flight to Seattle, then spend the day enjoying as many things as you can in that beautiful city.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 03:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Irice - Since people have started travelling again I have read more times than i can count that flights have been cancelled or rescheduled so reckoning on a flight arriving on the day on time to get your cruise IMO is very risky. You don't say where you are flying from or whether you know Seattle but why not give yourselves a couple of days there before the cruise so that there is no chance of missing it?
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 06:02 AM

Did it once, never again unless there were a ton of flights that day, I had an early one, and the ship was departing very late night, which they rarely do. When we did it, it was a clear day, but one small flight delay and we made the ship with only twenty minutes to spare. I was a nervous wreck. If something goes wrong on your flight, you can’t depend on getting a later one or a later one that gets there on time. Even driving the day of the cruise can be a problem, just takes one accident to create a delay of hours.
The other reason for going the day before - arrive on ship, rested and ready to enjoy that first day and sail-a-way, not stressed and tired and wanting to sleep.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 06:04 AM
P_M

Well said Ann. Another thing I forgot to mention is delayed luggage. On 9 occasions I have had delayed luggage for one reason or another. So there's a chance that you will make the sailing but your luggage won't. The airline will send it to one of your ports but you could spend the first part of your trip with only the clothes on your back. If you get there a day or two early there's a good chance your luggage will catch up with you before you sail.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 10:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very good point about the luggage, PM. Our posts crossed I think - I hadn't seen your first one before I posted mine.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The most important factor for me, anywhere, anticipating doing anything, is no stress. I relax as I leave home & do everything I can to keep it that way. As Evileen in The Wiz says: "Don't gimme no bad news!" Travel can be iffy enough and getting to one's destination early (to the airport, for a tour, for a cruise, anything) is the easiest insurance of all. I vote for 2 nights+ in advance. Why not?

Old Mar 6th, 2022, 11:44 AM

I wouldn't risk it myself. Especially with all of the flight cancellations happening.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Shoot! Ok… you all are right!

We literally have Sunday or Sunday to take a trip from LA in mid June. Three young adult kids who all have to be back to work. Hawaii is a fortune at this late date. I don’t know Mexico at all.

I was hoping to find a shorter cruise on a nice cruise line but most are 7 days or longer. This one is on Holland America.

Back to the drawing board. Maybe we go to Seattle for a few nights. Or Park City. Hmmm…
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 04:57 PM

Mexican Riviera is just too hot in June. Does it have to be in June? I think you can still find repositioning cruises from Los Angeles to Vancouver at the end of April.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holland American tends to have an older crowd. I don't know if your young adults kids would love it.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 07:18 AM
P_M

Our Alaska cruise on Princess left on Sunday. You could fly to Seattle on Saturday morning, then fly home on Sunday when you return. No need to take off more than a week.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 01:18 PM

Can you fly on Saturday night to Seattle? Sunday morning is risky but not impossible but Alaska Airlines has a couple of evening flights LAX to SEA. NCL Bliss is pretty nice for a mega ship, and I'm surprised to see that they have a slot for Glacier Bay.

I do like HAL for Alaska though.

https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23831

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 7th, 2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, this particular trip has to depart Sunday, June 12th or later. College graduation ceremony takes places on Saturday, June 11th.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 06:27 AM

We have a family cruise out of Vancouver to Ancourage on Princess this July. I just got our flights booked last week. 11 of us coming together from different places. Not cheap…but life is short. This trip was cancelled last 2 years. We will all go in a day early.
Husband and I also have a cruise in May to Europe. Procrastinated booking flights with this very sad war in Ukraine. Decided life goes on and this cruise also was postponed with Covid. I booked flights yesterday as figured prices will go way up. Surprised to get great Delta rates! We also always go a day early when travel to Europe.
But sounds like you have a graduation the day before. Any red eye flights available? Odds are all works out…but sounds as if you have realistic concerns. Get your flights soon! Alaska is waiting!!
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by lrice
Unfortunately, this particular trip has to depart Sunday, June 12th or later. College graduation ceremony takes places on Saturday, June 11th.
There is a super early flight on Sunday the 12th from LAX on Alaska Airlines.. 6am

Would everyone be willing to do that? With trip insurance added.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 09:07 AM

How reliable has that flight been in the past? How much cushion of time is there between landing and the ship’s last boarding time? If something happened, is there another flight that would still get you there?

Old Mar 8th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Alaska Air has a 6:00 am, a 7:30 am and a 10:30 am that all could work. The 10:30 am lands at 1:30 pm and the ship departs at 4:00 pm so that could be tough. Probably not worth the risk and stress.

I need to find a trip departing 6/13. We could skip the cruise and just fly to Seattle or up there somewhere for 4-5 nights.

Back to the drawing board.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 11:25 AM

Bummer….Sorry!! Well…we loved Olympia National Park! Stay in the park lodges. Lake Crescent and Quinault Lodge. Historic, rustic beauty. But we are lovers of National parks and their old preserved lodges!
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 06:42 AM

I use Vacations to Go departing June 13 from Seattle for a search and see Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas.

But don't you want a Sunday June 12 cruise? If you could take even the 7:30 am flight, assuming it is on time. You need to be at the port at around 2pm for a 4pm departure.
The Monday cruise would get back the following Monday at 7am.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 9th, 2022 at 06:53 AM.