Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just wondering: If you've already booked a vacation long in advance and then get laid off a month or two before departure, would you cancel the whole thing or just go?

Just wondering: If you've already booked a vacation long in advance and then get laid off a month or two before departure, would you cancel the whole thing or just go?

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Will

Reason for my asking is that this situation may happen to me.

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:43 PM
not

Will.
There is a common expression 'you only live once'.

That expression does not apply to most of the people on the planet though.

Only you can judge your financial situation and prospects for the future.

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Mina

Will, I sympathize with your situation.

I guess it would depend on a number of factors...

-how much money I had saved up
-how good is my severance package
-what are my chances of getting a job soon (are there people in the "industry" that would hire me in a heartbeat, etc)

and most importantly...

-does my heart plummet to my toes when I think of all the experiences I will miss by not taking the trip

As you might guess, I'm in a similar situation. I can think of logical reasons until kingdom come not to take the trip. If my finances wouldn't be completely ruined by taking the trip, I'd still go for it. Vacation is priceless gift you've planned for your emotional and spirtual rejuvenation...and it's not polite to refuse a gift. ;-)

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Will

Hi Mina, thanks for your understanding. I have debated many times whether or not to cancel. I had set aside some funds for the trip and thought that I could use that when the time comes to be laid off. In my situation I've been at the job only a year so severance would be practically nothing.

But I can't go through with cancelling the trip as I've been looking forward to it for the past year. It's really hard because it is true you only live once. And I have always wanted to travel as much as I could ever since I was younger. You're right about missing the all the experiences and sights if you didn't go through with it.

Anyway, I know for sure that if I had the means to do it, I would be travelling constantly. I am sure there are others who feel this way also. Just the luck of the draw but I hope there will be better times for people like you and me.

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Val

How important is the vacation?

Financially, life is a balance between planning and saving for the future (money put aside) and enjoying the present (money spent.)

The wildcard is that you don't know how long you're going to live.

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Sandy

Go and enjoy yourself. You will come back with a much more positive attitude. Personally I would be very angry and bitter if I had to give up a planned vacation, and believe that would come through in interviews. If I were a potential employer who had to wait a week or two to interview you, I would take it as a sign of confidence you have in yourself that you (that you will find a new situation soon!). JMHO.
Sandy

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Mina

Will, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation.

Try to avoid cancelling until you find out something for sure (or until any deadlines before cancellation penalties may hit). Depending on how close you are to your departure date, perhaps you can look for another job? You can always let them know you planned a vacation and "can't get out of it" (I wouldn't tell them that during the interview though...let them make an offer first!) Even if you take the time unpaid, at least you will be coming back to a job.

Best of luck to you. (and me)

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Will

Hi again Mina, yes, I've begun looking around. As you know it's not easy these days. But I've decided not to cancel. I intend to savor this trip and hope things will work out and I can travel again afterwards. I wish the best to you also!

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Art

I had it happen to me. I took the trip and am very glad that I did.

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Mina

Will, glad to hear it. Out of curiosity, where are you going?

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Will

Going to Paris and also taking the train to visit Strasbourg and Bern

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Will

Sandy and Art thanks also.

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Sandy

You're welcome. Life is too short.. I watched my parents wait until retirement to travel...but by then my father had gotten sick and couldn't really travel well. We all should have learned a lesson from 9/11 - don't put all the joys off because you just don't know. Go and ENJOY. Treat yourself well. Then come back, dive in and you'll get a new job and travel more. Sandy

Aug 9th, 2002, 12:56 AM
francesca

I got laid off and *then* planned a trip to Australia with my daughter. It was an insane thing to do. We had a deliriously wonderful time and I absolutely do not regret it for a second.
If you are going to be unemployed, you are going to go through some pain. Seize the positive side of being unemployed--all the flexilble time you have--and take advantage of every minute of it.
Total irony: my sister in law also was laid off and had many plans for this trip and that--all of which she cancelled because she wound up getting an offer by pure chance (she wasn' t looking). They wanted her to start ASAP and she was incredibly depressed to have to give up her travel plans. Don't let this happen to you! Do it now!
Go go go!

Aug 9th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Traveller

I sort of had it happen to me, but not quite in the same way. The company I worked for was bought out a couple of years ago and the changes the parent company wanted to make finally started happening end of last year.

My department wasn't changing in terms of staffing (infact since we would now be expected to work for 11000 people instead of 3000 I was surprised it wasn't being expanded) but many other departments were losing staff.

They said they'd have to make a lot of compulsory redundancies, but where people put forward for voluntary they would try and accept them first. They would give them the same redundancy terms and package as the compulsory layoffs since the idea was to then need to make less of those, always more unpleasant.

I put myself forward and was turned down because my dept was staying the same but found out about a lady whose job was going and who wanted to work in my department. Although she didnt have the experience she did have the right skills and the dept finally had enough experienced people to take on a trainee. In the end I argued that instead of compulsory layoff for her, she could have my job and I could take redundancy.

Having fought so hard for it, I was utterly surprised that I went through many of the same feelings of loss that those who had no choice were feeling. It was a big shock, and the career counselling that my company provided to those of us who left was a huge help. Though it concentrated on CV writing etc etc it also covered what feelings we should expect and how to deal with them. It was enlightening.

Anyway, the reason I took it was to set up on my own. The business I am in is really really down at the moment, and I had no illusions that I would be able to get lots of work.

5 months on, there is still very little work out there, in my field, but, after 3 months with very very little work at all I have been lucky to get one, fixed term contract.

BUT every day since I left the job I have been grateful that I decided not to cancel the trip to Venice that was scheduled for 2 weeks after my redundancy. (Having applied for it last year, I had no idea when it would happen, if I were to get it).

I dreamed about that holiday for so long that to cancel would have been heartbreaking.

Also, as I found myself unable to get enough work in the months following redundancy I knew I couldn't justify booking any further trips.

The memories of Venice, looking through my photos again, reading my trip report, kept me positive.

Finally with this recent contract I think I can afford to be a little more optomistic and have booked another trip.

I can't say I know what you should do. It depends so much on your finances, the likelihood of a new job, and what the consequences would be if you have a hard few months.

(Do you have a mortgage - if so can you defer payment for a few months or will late payment cost you your home? etc etc)

All I can tell you is that often, dreams are the most important thing we have.

Aug 9th, 2002, 01:54 AM
elina

Will, my husband has lost his job TWICE, first ten years ago, then this March. I am self-employed, so I don´t have to wait for vacation time, I can go whenever I feel like it.

Husband is very career oriented and those both occations have been huge blows, first time I was actually afraid for his sanity. Then I laid off all my work, and bought two tickets to south-east Asia. We were there a month, and his spirits lifted a lot. After coming back home he started looking for work, and finally, after some financially and mentally tight months, found it. Without that SEA trip it would not have been possible, nobody hires a nervous wreck.

This March was a total surprise again. We had already booked a trip to Spain, and did not even think about cancelling it. Husband was much calmer this time, and was offered a new job in three weeks. It was great to say: Yes, I´ll take it. I´ll just first go to Spain for a little holiday.

Aug 9th, 2002, 02:03 AM
xxx

Will, the same thing happened in April to my husband after we had booked tickets, hotel, etc. for our trip in July. We decided to just go and have a great time - we had already set aside the money to use so that was good. When we returned he thought it did him a world of good - cleared his head so he could decide what to do next.

Life is too short - go and have a wonderful trip.

Aug 9th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Diane

I was notified of my lay-off a couple of days before I was to go on vacation, effective the day I got back. This was a small organization, only three employees and my boss had known at least two months before. He had heard me plan my vacation and knew I was locking myself into the expense and never said a word (he didn't want me to leave the job any earlier). I was more angry at this than at the lay-off per se. The morning he gave me my lay-off letter, I told him to excuse me, but I had to go home immediately to cook food to bring along on vacation and just left everything on my desk. I cooked & froze for two days and we forgoed the restaurant budget. At customs, I explained why I was carrying so much food and was waived through with a "food, what food, I didn't see any food" wink. We had the best vacation in the USVIs and BVIs with a chartered sailboat. In just one week, all the negative feelings were washed away. I came back full of plans and was re-employed shortly after.

Aug 9th, 2002, 03:18 AM
nancy

Will going cause you to go hungry upon your return?
Will you lose your house?
If you have children, will this impact their needs?
If no- GO!

Aug 9th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Traveller

Diane

That really sucks. There's self interest (he didn't want you to leave any earlier and I can understand that) and then there's over and beyond selfishness and into downright cruel. In such a small business you must have all been reasonably close on a personal level. I too would have found his silence while you were locking yourse;f into an expensive trip much more upsetting than the redundancy itself (he presumably couldn't avoid that).

I am so pleased to hear you got another job so soon afterwards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO