discovery cruiseline

Jan 5th, 2003, 02:25 PM
bruno

discovery cruiseline

Has anyone used discovery cruiseline in the past? We will be in Miami 2 days pre-cruise and tought about doing there 1 day trip to grand bahama, we never went to the bahamas and tought it would be a good opportonity for a short visit, any toughts??

Jan 5th, 2003, 03:45 PM
topper

anyone have a review or an opinion? I am interrested also

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:42 AM
xxx

Believe me, it is not worth it.It is a very long day-1st standing in line with your papers to get onto the ship. The ship itself is not that big so we felt alot of movement. When we got there, those who had booked an excursion were 1st to disembark. We booked what sounded like a great excursion-1st a trip to the beach with bottomless rum punch and games on the beach, and then on to the marketplace for a couple of hrs. We were dropped off at a beach-not the nicest,but okay. There was no rum punch and no activities at all. Only native people harrassing us to but things or have hair braided. We couldn't wait for the van to come back for us. Then we were dropped off at a rundown marketplace-more harrassing;we were so happy to get back on the ship-then it was a long trip back at nite with rough seas-got back about midnight. Never again!

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Paul Therault

It's like taking a ferry boat and it's cheap.

A nicer boat is running from Tampa to Mexico this year. This I am sure would be a better experience (if you are in the area and have extra time).

Paul

Jan 8th, 2003, 05:27 AM
xxx

what part of mexico and what is the name of the boat?

This was for a pre-cruise vacation, which has stops in cozumel, grand caymen and ocho rios, so another trip to mexico would probably not appeal to us that much.

The reason we were interrested in the discovery one, is that we have never been to the bahamas and tought it would be an opportunity to have a glimpse for a small price.

But I heard miami and fort lauderdale are worth a visit, so I think we will just spend our pre-cruise there or try to get a more vacation time

Jan 8th, 2003, 08:35 AM
xxx

For a great pre-cruise hotel in Ft.Lauderdale try Lago Mar or Marriott Harbor Beach. Nice pools and gorgeous stretch of beach.

Jan 9th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Bruno,

I forgot the name of the boat that will sail from Tampa to Mexico. the info is buried on my desk here somewhere but when I find it again I will post.

I believe you really should wait and take a longer (7 day cruise) since all cruise lines that offer the shorter cruises are known as extreme "party" ships.

Paul

Jan 15th, 2003, 09:46 AM
DeckHand

The name of the ship you are referring to is the Scotia Prince, It operates in the summer up here in the fine state of maine, but now is doing a winter run from FL to mexico. Check out their website at: www.yucatanexpress.com

Jan 25th, 2003, 04:51 AM
ccc

Anyone else have any other reviews on the Discovery Cruiseline? Am planning on taking it to Our Lucaya. Opinions/reviews are greatly appreciated!!!

Jan 25th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Sam

I strongly discourage anyone from going on Discovery cruise line. It literally is like a ferry. It does not resemble a cruise at all. I have never heard anyone say anything positive about it.

Jan 25th, 2003, 05:07 AM
maryann

Discovery is primarily a 1 day gambling boat, with a couple of hours in Freeport. It is about an 18 hour day.

In Freeport, you can get off for a couple of hours or get off for a couple of days and take the ship back. You have to pre-purchase the ship-hotel pkg.

Discovery is ok for what it does- buffets, and,I think sit-down dinners,too- gambling, music- cabins for rent(it is a long trip) for the day.
Otherwise they have his-hers shower/locker rooms and you have to sit in the public areas.

No big modern stabilizers and things you are used to on the big ships.

But all in all not to bad of a trip.

For a one day in Freeport, I would fly the 1 day junket to Bahamia- check this out, ! haven't done it in a long time and don't have recent info.

Grand Bahama is my favorite Bahama Island. Suburban and beachy, good restaurants and bars, etc.

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Paul Therault

That's why they call it Discovery. When you get on the ship you discover it is not a cruise ship at all.

Paul