Dawn arrival in Vancouver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Vancouver on the Dawn this summer and are faced with a tight plane departure. The ship schedule says it gets into port at 7:30 AM. Is this accurate? Might it get in sooner? And what are the odds it will arrive later?
Thanks
Lewis
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM

I would not book a flight before noon. Vancouver's airport can be a mess - the good thing is that you have a Monday departure which should help some. Weekends at Vancouver airport resemble a zoo.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM

Yes, it can arrive late. Other factors can lead to passengers not leaving the ship on time such as issues with immigration/customs and inspections.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:48 AM

You need a two hour window for Vancouver airport, I believe the cruiseline recommendations is for reservations after 1pm. Don't even think of anything before noon. you will miss it. For clairfication- the "arrival" time has NOTHING to do with disembarkment time which will always be later. Take a cab to the airport rather than waiting for the shuttle buses and if a long cab line, head upstairs to the Pan Pacific and tip the doorman for a fast cab. Pay by credit card for the best exchange.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

You ABSOLUTELY need at least 2 hours once you arrive at the airport before you get onthe plane. You will stand in line to stand in line. Sorry to put you in any more of a panic than you are already, but Vancouver was one of the worst airports to deal with that I have ever experienced. Did the cruise line make your reservations? If they did they usually "protect" you if they are delayed getting you there. If you made your own reservations, see if you can change them.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM

Yes, Vancouver is a mess, but you can expedite your waiting in line if you are able to print boarding passes on the cruise ship or use the check-in kiosks. My last trip there I found the lines had lines but there was only one person at the kiosk. In the time it took me to get my drivers license out of my wallet I was ready to check my bags and be done.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys and "optimism".
I should have added a better picture to my query.
We are flying from Seattle. We will rent a car (Hertz) from the dock area. When my wife asked me how far it was to Seattle, I said 140 miles so she booked a flight out at 12:40!!. Actually there is just one other flight that gets to B'ham that same day.
Is there anyone who thinks we have a chance?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM

Nope!
I wouldn't want anything at Vancouver before noon and you are thinking of Seattle at 12:40. There really is no way - I would call the airline and change it.

You have to cross the boarder and that can take awhile.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:09 AM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT make a 12:40pm flight from Seattle. I used to run like mad and barely made the 2pm flights to Philly out of Seatac. You need to allow at least 4 hours for the Vancouver/Seatac drive. THEN gas up, know where you are going, Seatac is SOUTH of Seattle, turn your car in, find your terminal, get through security, get to your gate etc etc etc. I would not book anything before 3pm So CHANGE this flight now.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM

You will need to make your way throgh downtown Vancouver before you get onto the highway to Seattle. You will have to wait at the border crossing, it could be up to an hour or so. You will have to take the bypass to get around Seattle. Find the dropoff point for the car, find the correct terminal. Getting through security in Seattle is very slow. Even a flight at 3 might be difficult.