Curious about the "art" auctions

Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM
katybird

Curious about the "art" auctions

Are these auctions for real? I saw people bidding outrageous prices for "art" on our cruise. I came home and did a google search on one artist that was supposed to be very well known. Never could find a thing about him.

Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM

Last time I responded to a post like this it got a little tense.

I'll take the highest road possible and say, Yes, they are real, and the items sold are what they say they are.

Art can be subjective and it is worth what you are willing to pay for it. I would advise that you look locally at art dealers and educate yourself on whatever type of art interests you and then, as a knowledgable buyer, purchase from who ever you wish.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:32 PM

Okay...GUILTY...just bought two pieces more seriousgraphs last week....but did not pay outrageous prices..lol Actually, my home is filled with ship art work and it's better than drinking or gambling, because I can see my "souvenier" One piece I paid just over $55.00.. the second I paid and I considered it a steal a piece just under $300.00...and I took it off the ship saving shipping charges. A woman we met on the cruise and hopefully doesn't read this forum..lol.. bought almost $9,000.00 and included Ertes, a well known Russian artist, a Betty Boop cell and a few more..could she afford it...I believe so. I also saw people buying Peter Maxx, some buying Kincaide,...there was no fast and furious bidding.. I do know one artist in particular I bought ten years ago for what I thought was an outrageous price is now so far out of my price range and no longer paints for the US market. Most importantly and this I must add is that I've received an education by the "art" auctioneers.... some are better than others.. I've learned about Picot, Chen, Fanch, Kniff, Medevige (sp), Warden and Tarkey. Out of the area where they were being auctioned I saw people considering Picasso and other very high end pieces..In his exhibit on the ship we discovered a new artist, but for reasons the prices for his pieces had not been downloaded into the auctioneers computer... too bad...there was one piece wer absolutely loved. One cruise my husband bought sports memorabilia for the old Red Sox player, Bobby Doerr... The new young lady who was in training says its very lucrative...Also, she and the auctioneer and his wife were asked if they were interested after they wer buying serious pieces onboard ships.. Of course the ships make their commission and there are some add ons like "appraisals" they try to get you to buy.. Now, I have to find space for especially a new Tarkay...and start moving pieces around... think I need another house.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM

The art auctions are very enjoyable. I never miss them. We have collected some very nice pieces beautifully framed. One artist that I bought a piece of work for $250 framed, I inquired about on our last cruise, and the prices had gone totally out of the ball park.

You need to look at art as what you like. I buy Tarkay mostly, and then have picked up some other terrific pieces.

I bought four new ones on our last cruise.

Enjoy. Go, you can always learn something.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:43 PM

I have bought many pieces, mostly Richard Williams lithographs who does a lot of sea type pictures. We have enjoyed them for many years now. I paid anywhere from $25.00 for a small picture to $125.00. They all came framed and matted. We also have an oil. I have not be able to find a Richard Williams on a ship for a long time now.
I have seem some nice Tarkay's but they just don't fit with my decor.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM

I'm guilty. I'm a 22-year-old travel enthusiast who enjoys the art auctions the most out of the entire cruise.

tares at Alexandr Strevenksy painting of Times Square I stole at a price of $125 - retails on the market for $500.:
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:08 PM

We splurged on a piece because we loved it and thought we would get our money's worth in pleasure.

I checked the web when I got home, and found similar pieces by the same artist selling for 50% more unframed than we paid framed.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:09 PM

Richard Williams caught our eye with parrot pictures...$150.00 each FRAMED....he no longer is on cruise ships. We picked up a Chen, a piece on S.F. and he too is jumping. Had to turn down two Tarkeys on canvas,..not his usual wife..BUT the one we picked up is his wife on a black background and gold sketches of women in the background.. absolutely smashing.. We had promised outselves no more..lol. There is a new oriental artist that I was attracted to, but forgot to bring it to the auctioneers attention...next time...lol
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:45 PM

I have never been to an auction on a Princess ship. Anyone know how often they have them/their inventory?

Ironically, the best out of more than 15 cruises I have been on was a sailing of the Carnival Triumph last January in the Eastern Caribbean.
Jun 24th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Interesting enough I don't believe Princess uses Park West for their art auctions and I don't know anybody that has bought on Princess.
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Parrotmom,

I have one of those parrot pictures also, Tropical Birds II. It is my favorite. I have only seen one or two Richard Williams in the last 3 or 4 years on a ship. It was a sea otter.
I wonder why Park West doesn't carry his pictures anymore. ???
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM

It;s probably they get more $$ else where..lol, although I saw one of sea otters, but didn't pay attention to the artist..and one of wolves, I did see some interesting fish pictures...watercolors and not inexpensive. My Willims prints are both signed..my friend bought one a few years later hers is unsigned..One print with a parrot theme I was bidding against the wife of a famous basketball player who was going to resell hers I was told to her clients, she was a decorator, we both won.
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:16 AM

I own 11 Richard Williams. All of mine are signed and most are numbered. The Parrots, The Nest and The Shrimp Boats are my favorites. I have one of the Flower Carts also. I did see the original of The Nest (humming birds) about 3 years ago but my pocket book would not handle it and my husband would not go for it. I wish they would start carrying this artist again.