Cruise Ship hit by Wave

Mar 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Cruise Ship hit by Wave

I would like to think that modern cruise ship is safe. And with my ignorance, I thought the Mediterranean would not have "BIG" waves and tsunami only hit coastal areas of open oceans.

Here it is, a breaking news from ABC, 2 dead, 14 injured as 30 foot wave hit the Louise Majesty (formely NCL Majesty) with 1800 passenegers on board.

The news link below also shown part of a video taken of the wave crashing through the windows of the ship's public area. It's quite dramatic. There is a longer version of the video elsewhere showing flooded corridors among other things.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/waves-s...ry?id=10007985

Would cruise ships be immune to tsunami created by earthquakes like the recent one from Chile? Do you think twice about cruise travel now or you are still going to go anyway?

It is probably still safer than flying or driving based on the number of fatality compared to passenegers/trips taken. For me, my next sea trip is May and then there is the West Med / Holyland in October so I am heading out to the sea regadrless. How about you?
Mar 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM

I saw this too Eschew. Very scary indeed. Almost the premise of the first Poseiden Adventure movie, where a rogue wave capsized the ship. My heart aches for the families of the two men who were killed. I'm thankful the death toll was no higher. I don't know why Mother Nature is so angry, but she has sure been socking it to us lately!
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Tsunamis don't cause huge waves if they are out to sea, but they can cause significant chop and waves (this is why ships in ports have tsunami warnings often take the ships right out to see a couple of miles to ride out the waves).

These waves were the result of storms, which are not uncommon in the Mediterranean at this time of the year (just a week or so ago, a huge storm wreaked havoc over much of Europe with hurricane-force winds and heavy rains). This is why most cruise lines don't start their Med itineraries until at least April.

I agree that this was scary and a very sad and unfortunate situation for the people who were killed and injured, but it's a rare occurrence. And a 26-foot wave wouldn't even break above the hull on most big cruise ships. An NCL ship was hit by a 70-plus foot wave a couple of years ago and sustained only minor damage and some flooding (including in cabins).
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM

There are also passenger ships, though I doubt any of them are cruise ships, cought in ice near Sweden.

I try not to go during more dangerous times, like July to November is a hurricane time, so Carribeans are out.

As for Mediterranean, I will try not to go on a cruise when the weather may be unstable - not because of this incident, but to enjoy the land tours without being rained on.
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Talk about bad luck. Louis Cruise was on the news in 2007 when their largest ship then, the Sea Diamond, sunk off the coast of Santorini after running aground. 2 passengers were missing and presumed dead. Not the kind of news you want. The Sea Diammond was about the same size as the Majesty. They blame it on faulty sea map provided by the Navy. I heard it was recently verified that the map information maube incorect.
But still, it makes you wonder.
Mar 7th, 2010, 01:27 AM

I was on the NCL ship 2 weeks after the big wave hit it - amazing how little damage there still was. That story and this one actually make me much less scared - while one could be extremely unlucky and be near the window it hit, it is amazing to me that in both cases there was not more damage or death. In my mind I would picture the ship flipping over - although I know this is not possible.
Mar 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Only in movies ... the Posideon adventure, the TV mini series Posideon Adevnture, the remake of the Posideon Adventure, the Titanic ...