Search

Cruise Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:23 AM
JoAnne

Cruise Insurance

Our cruise is in a month and a half. We already paid for the whole thing. There's no airfare since we're driving to the port.<BR>What are people's opinion on how necessary cruise insurance is? Is there a possibility of luggage being taken from the ship, etc?<BR>Since we already paid for the cruise, when is the deadline to buy the insurance (or is it too late)? Thanks!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Fisherman

You better spend cash on that insurance. Lots of luggage thieves. Also, what happens when you get notified right before your cruise that your family member just died. Better get the insurance.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Paul Therault

Hi JoAnne,<BR><BR>Insurance policies are not all the same. You will have to do some studying, calling the company or visiting a travel agent.<BR><BR>Most do not know that some insurance will not cover pre-existing medical conditions. <BR><BR>There is a company called Travel Guard that is very resonable but has not been paying for some of their coverages and their phone to call collect does not work. Access <BR>America or CSA are find companies.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Patty

You can still purchase insurance but depending on when you made your initial deposit, you may not qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver (which applies to yourself or family member) which generally requires you to purchase within 7 days of your initial deposit. Whatever you decide, read the policy exclusions carefully! I wouldn't buy travel insurance if you're just concerned about lost luggage - the coverage is very minimal, barely enough to cover the cost of the luggage itself without the contents. The primary reasons for buying travel insurance is for emergency medical or cancellation coverage.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Paul Therault

Insurance is secondary to your home policies. When it comes to lost luggage the airline is responsible for I think $1,600. Takes a couple of years to get your money. Insurance should cover the deductible you will pay on your homeowners policy. Homeowner policies will not cover baggage delay, this is why it is good to purchase a high limit. Most times it take a fews days for your luggage to catch up to you on a ship. Exremely aggravating.<BR><BR>I could go on and on. As I said vacation insurance is very difficult to understand. Not saying that any insurance policy is any better.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:48 AM
JoAnne

We're not flying, so my mention of luggage lost would I guess be on the ship. So really insurance would be for medical and/or cancellation.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:32 PM
Paul Therault

You can get a flat tire on the way to the ship or drive your car into the bay. You may have to be airlifted off the ship or want to go home from a Barbados hospital. Your family may want to go home and leave you in a Barbados hospital. You may drop your camera into the ocean. Someone in your family may lose his favorite "teddy." If it is your husband, he'll get over it.<BR><BR>Things that are unforeseen .... this is why one purchases insurance.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:18 AM
gail

Your luggage might be covered under your homeowners policy - so check.<BR><BR>Most trip insurance will cover medical cancellations, not if you just change your mind (as many people found out after 9/11 who were afraid to travel).<BR><BR>We have traveled with and without insurance. Only you can decide how it would effect you if, for example, you had to cancel trip because of your mother's medical emergency or if your broke your leg in 6 places and had to cancel.<BR><BR>Also, check with your credit card company and see if they offer any type of coverage included in your fee and what it would cover.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:41 PM
Paul Therault

Travel insurance may be secondary to other insurance that you may have. <BR>Your homeowners policy will certainly cover your bagage loss and the travel insurance will help cover the deductible.<BR><BR>Paul