Cruise Help - July 2008

Search

Cruise Help - July 2008

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Help - July 2008

After searching cruise webs, I'm more confused than ever, so am seeking help from ever-reliable Fodorites

We're 3-4 couples (ages 40+ - celebrating a couple of 50th b'days) with two teenage boys, in search of ideas for a 1-week cruise early July. As designated researcher, I want to explore all options.

Ideas we've kicked around so far: Bermuda (though not sure it offers enough variety in port); Caribbean (only concern is that weather may be super hot at that time of year?); Alaska (though don't want a cruise dominated by older people - the kids would freak!)

Forgive me for posting such a general/lengthy question, but the wealth of info on websites is overwhelming for one with little cruise experience, and added pressure to present best ideas to the group!

Add'l info that may be helpful in making recommendations: we all live in NJ so leaving from NY would be a 'plus' but not required; we prefer a cruise that offers variety of options in port (some like to just chill, while others prefer to explore); cruises with open dining vs. formal seatings also a plus but not required; great food on board a must for all!

Any/all ideas are much appreciated - thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM

A good compromise is a cruise to Bermuda from NY. No airfare to dealwith. NCL used to do this route - I assume they still are - and lenth is about a week.

This is different than usual cruises - you spend about 1 1/2 days at sea each way and the rest of the time parked in Bermuda. We did this cruise from Boston with our teens a couple of years ago and there was plenty to do in Bermuda. A little history (fort), great beaches, a few touristy places.

Since ship is parked there for a few days you can explore on your own - we did a glass bottom kayak, helmet diving, beach; public bus system is easy to navigate and cheap.

Everyone speaks English, island is clean, people British-style polite. It was less expensive for us to do Bermuda this way than pay for air, hotel, food, since Bermuda is very expensive.

Food is open seating. Worked well for our teenage son - he would hit the buffet for a 5 PM "snack" and then we would all go to dinner later.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM

How about Canada from Bayonne? You have a choice of several good ships, including Explorer of The Seas. Not nearly as hot as Caribbean, and lots of beautiful ports.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:57 AM

If you want to eliminate hot weather you are limited to Alaska or New England/Canada. I suppose it all depends on what you mean by "super hot." If say high 80's is unbearable then the Carib. is out. However if you can tolerate low 90's bear in mind that Carib. ports aren't too intensive. You can see them leisurely as opposed to say Baltic ports which require full day tours to really see. Alaska's beauty is breathtaking and while there are a fair amt. of older people the ports are amazing, even for teens. Also the excursions there, though expensive are varied enough to suit just about anyone.
You could also consider Hawaiian cruises too though personally Hawaii is more of a land destination. Just look into the ship reviews first as the NCL ships for that venue are getting spotty reviews.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM

I took my 13 year old nephew on an Alaskan cruise in August and he loved it. The ports and excursions will insure that the teens are not bored. I think there is less likely boredom than Bermuda with more sea days.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Since you're looking at traveling during hurricane season, I would second the suggestion for Alaska. That is just a really cool cruise. We went last month - and everyone loved it no matter what their age. There are many ships, so you could definitely find your more informal style. In July, the Caribbean is hot (which, in addition to it being hurricane season, is why there are usually openings during that time). Good luck!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I think Bermuda is boring and I am not a teen.

I suggest Alaska and for your needs, RCI. Book excursions that are athletic and interesting for the kids (ziplining, kayaking, hiking, sled dogging). The ship will have plenty of other kids their age since it is peak family travel season, the ships are casual and there are activities galore.

Not sure if RCI will move forward with open dining but my guess is yes as it is being tried out now on Freedom and most lines adopt it once they introduce on a ship.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM

What is ziplining? I know its now a zip out coat liner.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow - great feedback - I knew I could count on you guys!

Hmmm, hadn't thought of Canada before. Any recommendations on ports/activities?

Re: Alaska, you've all set my mind at ease relative to the age of passengers being balanced by activities and beauty of the area. Any recommendations on ships other than RCI?

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Larry, you are basically attached to a safety harness and speed over the landscape, down mountains, etc. on cables; each section is called a "run" and they start out short and not too scary and get more and more challenging and dramatic.

My DH did it in PV in May and they went up 2 miles in the rain forest then had ten "runs" going down. It looked amazing and we are going to do it in Juneau next summer.

To the OP, I think New England and Canada would not be very interesting for teens, as the crowd is really older and the itinerary more about seeing than doing. Most lines offer these trips in the falls when the foliage is the attraction.

There are lots of lines that go to Alaska. My favorite is HAL but that is not the bes choice for families (which is one of the reasons we choose the line). RCI, Carnival and NCL are the most family oriented lines and of those, RCI is my favorite.

You might also look at Princess who has a great rep in Alaska, though I can not personally tell you how they are with kids.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Thanks K. It sounds like a cable car on steroids.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

On checking Canada cruises, sail dates don't match our travel time - so Kfusto, I think you're correct over this being a more fall-related cruise. Though I'm sure it's beautiful, I'll cross this off my list for now.

Here's a slight curve-ball (which I also posted on general US forum): does anyone have experience with houseboats on Lake Powell in Utah? Not necessarily a 'cruise' but since it involves boating, wondering if anyone here has knowledge of this experience - which sounds like a true 'once in a lifetime' deal that's perfect for a group...
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Hot weather:

early July in Bermuda might be doable (May and June are better) - before it gets super hot and humid until mid-Sept.

Southern Caribbean (Barbados, Grenada, et al) stays in 80's all year around - warmer than north in winter and cooler than north in summer.

My best bet fot you is to take NCL's Southern Caribbean out of New York - takes about 10-11 days. The two days out at sea at the beginning and end of cruise are great boosters - wind down and gear up on the way down and time to pack and have last-minute fun on way up.

Each of the ports down there are different from one other and there are plenty of excursions in each port. There are several that teens will enjoy.