Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Contacting your TA - how often is too often?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booked a cruise last fall on a standard fare. I've been checking the rates for our cruise on the Celebrity website every so often and sometimes it gives me a "resident" fare, sometimes not. Yesterday a resident fare came up, but it's the first time the resident fare is cheaper than the rate I booked at last year. I sent an email yesterday afternoon to my TA, asking if I would be eligible for the fare reduction.

Also posted my question on Cruise Critic, where I got responses indicating that I may be eligible and to contact my TA ASAP before the resident rate disappeared.

I am about 5-6 hours behind my TA, so I knew I wasn't going to get a response yesterday. This morning, no response yet so I called and left a VM. Still haven't received a response and her office will be closing for business in an hour or so.

I hate feeling like I'm being a pest, but I'm wondering if I should try to call her again before they close for the day. If I am eligible for the fare reduction, it looks to be around $300 per person - which is something I definitely don't want to miss out on.

Anyone ever taken advantage of a price drop and have any advice on whether I should call again (and possibly be a pest) or if waiting another day would be ok?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM

$300pp? I would call immediately! Don't worry about being a pest if it can save you money.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Update:

I did call again (and felt like a pest ) but I did score a price drop. It wasn't the straight price drop, though -

I upgraded from an inside to an ocean view cabin, got $200 per person discounted, but my onboard credit was reduced by $200.

Shucks to some of my OBC being reduced, but I've come out ahead and am very pleased - especially with the upgrade to the ocean view cabin. I've had one before and love having the natural light, but for this cruise I didn't want to spend the money for the outside cabin. Now I get one PLUS some of the cruise being discounted even more.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM

I did get a price reduction, not even as a cabin credit (as I was afraid), but as a credit on my credit card!

I made reservation with the cruise company directly, and was checking rates weekly. Twice the price went down, twice I called the cruise line, twice got credits posted to my credit card.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:24 PM

Hiya, chepar. I'm one of the CC members who urged you to phone your TA ASAP So glad it worked out!