Comparing eastern vs western Caribbean on RCL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family is looking to do a cruise at spring break 2006. We did the western Caribbean in spring of 2003. We are trying to decide whether to repeat some western destinations[Cozumel & Grand Cayman] and adding Belize and Costa Maya or try the eastern with Puerto rico, VI, St. Martin and Bahamas for stops. We like to snorkle and do active adventures as opposed to touring the city and shopping.

Please give your opinion of these two choices. Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Suzie:
Your best diving and snorkeling will be Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Belize. Belize having the 2nd largest coral reef in the world.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Hi Suzie,
My wife and I have been to both this year. We really enjoyed Belize cave tubing. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are good for snorkeling. The Eastern cruise will be some what better for shopping. St. Thomas has some great beaches and some of the best shopping. Nassau is a bummer. I would chose the Western cruise
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Costa Maya is like a little jungle. Not much shopping and plenty of active excursions to pick from. Just came back from a western Caribbean that was Key West, Cozumel, Costa and Grand Cayman. Keep in mind the hurricanes did quite a bit of damage to a lot of the reefs. Grand Cayman still looks like a disaster area. Still saw some Barracuda and Rays though
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Been on 15 cruises. I love to snorkel (you probably guessed that from my username).

Anyway, I have found the best to be in the west - belize, grand cayman, and cozumel in that order.

I have snorkeled several times in the east and I have always been let down - even in st. thomas.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. After looking at the options on both eastern and western, we are going western. It also helps that the western is Sunday to Sunday which will give us better airfares.