family with two teens, wants great snorkeling

Aug 6th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

family with two teens, wants great snorkeling

We are planning a Caribbean trip this x-mas, with a 16 and 14 year old who like to meet other kids when we travel. Advice on where to go to get great snorkeling and beaches? Also, we often stay in villas - will that isolate our kids too much in the locales you recommend? If so, which hotels will not be too sterile and mobbed during this time?
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Grand Cayman for beaches and snorkeling

Belize (I know it is not Caribbean) has great snorkeling (not from a beach)but beaches are terrible
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Actually Belize, though not an island is on the western edge of the Caribbean. Another option is Cozumel which has a great reef.
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much! I'm still weighing the Cayman and St. John options - both over Belize due to the beach quality. I've never been lead to believe there is a safety issue in Grand Cayman - ?

What kind of watersports, besides snorkeling does each offer - one kid would like to windsurf, the other is a jet ski fanatic.

What kind of town is Cruz Bay? - we used to have a home in St. Croix, and as a teen I recall going into C'sted for a day or night for dinner and a tame club scene (it was a while ago!!)
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:01 AM

kim,

I have been to both St John and Grand Cayman.I love both but would recommend Grand Cayman because there is so much more to do for the kids.

Things to do include Stingr
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM

sorry I hit enter too soon!

Things to do in GC- Stingray City,Botanical Gardens,Butterfly Farm,Turtle Farm,The Blowholes,Skateboard/Surf park and Rumpoint.

Watersports are also offered on 7 Mile Beach.They rent jetskis and offer Parasailing along with other sports.

IMO...the restaurants are much better in Grand Cayman but more expensive.Both places are safe.

I feel that the snorkeling is better in GC.Beauty wise St John is more beautiful.

Cruz Bay has some nightlife but is not overwhelming with it.

If you do go to GC..definitely go to Stingray City..my kids loved it!We used Captain Marvin's and they were great.

The Wharf Restaurant is good and entertaining for the kids.They do a nightly Tarpon feeding as it is on the waters edge.

We stayed at some condos on the beach.They have a pool and Jacuzzi right on the beach.We stayed in Unit 19 and it was nice,neat and decorated tropical.

Here is a link to the condos.

www.discoverypointclub.com

Good luck!Anymore questions...feel free to ask.

Christie

Aug 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Christie: did you eat at the Wharf and if so do you rememeber the $$? Just curious to see how much it is now compared to when we were there. Larry
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Jacketwatch,
Yes we did and it was great! I think (cannot remember for sure) that we spent around $160 for the 6 of us..3 kids and 3 adults.

Christie
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Wow! We spent $100.00 for three 15 yrs. ago. It hasn't gone up as much as I though it did. Thanks Christie.
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM

No problem mon!

Christie
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM

My family loves Anguilla. Specifically the Shoal Bay East area. Gorgeous long beach, a bunch of reasonable lodging options (on an island known for its very expensive hotels on the other side of the island), plenty of teen action at Christmastime, and surprisingly good snorkeling right off the beach, where it turns a corner.

Better snorkeling is a short boat trip (or a quite long swim) from Anguilla's "town" about 15 minutes from Shoal Bay. There's a guy who hangs around the little fishing harbor and takes folks to the prime snorkeling place, at a small beach that's inaccessible from shore, and picks you up at the arranged time.
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM

BaltoTraveler,
"and surprisingly good snorkeling right off the beach, where it turns a corner. "
What???!! I snorkeled there last Dec. Clear water I'll grant you. Saw 50 fish total in 2 hours.

Aug 8th, 2006, 03:15 AM

Newyorkergal -

Where were you snorkeling? On the reef that's 50 yards or so straight out from all the hotels and restaurants? I was talking about going way down the beach to the right (east) to where it turns 90 degrees to the right and gets narrow. There's dynamite snorkeling just off shore. The reef is so close that it's not a good place to swim. Good coral, good fish. Sorry you missed it! We were there last June.
Aug 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
anonxx

Our kids are about the same as yours and they love Grand Cayman. We have found it feels the "safest" to us, excellent snorkeling, with lots to do. (and no one trying to sell you anything, not shell necklaces or drugs)

Aug 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM

We have been to the Caymans 10x with 3 teenagers. They still love it. I know we really need to venture out a little more, but we really love it. I would suggest the Caymans. There is alot to do and your kids will be entertained, except at night - little night life. The Warf is excellent food, but pricy. We usually spent 350 - 400 for 5 of us. There was alcohol and virgin frozen drinks involved and that made it expensive. If you want a great website to find a nice condo directly on the beach let me know.