Celebrity Mercury Concierge Class

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celebrity Mercury Concierge Class

Has anyone cruised on the Mercury with Concierge class? Is it worth the extra money ( for a veranda room, not a suite? How is the food on this ship?
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM

We cruised on the Mercury in CC and it was definitely not worth it. You get a few little canapes delivered to the cabin and a choice of pillows (which you can get in any cabin if you just ask). Basically that is about it. The food was just fine and I do like the Japanese Sushi Bar they set up every evening - it is good if you are on second seating dinner. I would not spend the money again - we did it twice once on another ship when they first started Concierge class and then did it again to see if it had improved but thats it.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. overall, did you like the Mercury?
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Not Mercury, but another Celebrity ship - went concierge Class because it was only balcony available at time of booking. Soggy canapes that were so bad we told them to stop delivering them. I think a fruit basket and a carnation in a vase on the desk. Who needs more food on a cruise?

Save your money and leave $5-10 for the room steward on the first morning with a nice note - guarantee that will get you upgraded service for the rest of the cruise at much lower cost.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I enjoyed the Mercury. We have done a lot of cruising and I can't say that with the exception of one ship (Royal Olympic) we have never had a bad experience. Where and when are you cruising?
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM

We had sailed in Concierge Class on the Century. It turned out a big fake - at least half of the Concierge Class extras (including the "pillow menu") did not show up. And the canapées were awful! (But who needs more food on a cruise?)

I would not book Concierge Class again - even if it should cost not more than 20 bucks. Even that little money is not worth it.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Ah, the food. I understand that the food is the same on all Celebrity ships. The food is 100% prefabricated and the same on all cruises (no local products). The food is 100% American (including ridiculous French-sounding names for American dishes). Quality is varying, sometimes food is okay, sometimes it is poor. Lunch in the main dining room is generally poor, dinner is slightly better.

The upscale restaurant (reservation and extra fee required) is much better, but still way below gourmet cuisine (the cooking style of 1970ties - imagine a dinner in a midwest town's leading hotel in 1973!).

I personally liked the sandwich and pasta stations, where they prepared your food fresh to your order.

On Holland America ships, I found food generally better than on Celebrity - but this was some years ago and I understand that most cruise lines have reduced their quality level.

But you do not go on a cruise for a gourmet experience, but to see interesting ports.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:04 AM

We have had good food on cruises, but not recently. Either we have become more critical or the quality has been lowered.
Breakfast and Lido lunch hasn't changed much. I would never go on a cruise for the food. It just isn't that good. The late night feasts seem to have diminished also. On one trip I asked a food person if they bought really good produce in the islands and was told that they bought all their food in the embarkation port for safeties sake
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM

Posting for informational purposes ... maybe the information will help a future cruiser with the same question.

There are concierge class cabins, and then there are concierge class cabins. I didn't care about the amenities, but wanted a big veranda ... I got my wish. There are four concierge class cabins on the Sky Deck on Mercury that have these oversized verandas (about 9x15 ft). The bonus - I booked early enough that the price was little more than a regular veranda. There are photos at this blog entry (scroll down) ... with more to be published in the near future -- http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2009/1...y-mercury.html
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Food is decent. Service at dining room is good. My cabin stewrd was lousy.

You can see cost cutting on the food. Only half a tail on lobster night. The 2 level dining room looks nice and they do a good job on the special brunch - something you should not miss. The cabin is dated and beddings needed repalcement.

Bring a small power bar as there is only one electrical outlet. If you need to charge your battery etc, you will need it.