Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Bummed about Carnival, Will I like RC better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from a 5 nighter on The Inspiration visiting Calica, and Grand Cayman. The weather stunk most of the time but that has nothing to do with this post. I have cruised Carnival before and have cruised Celebrity as well.

Carnival was nothing like I remembered. The public bathrooms were always dirty, somebody must have had an upset stomach, went #2 and then spread it over the toilet and walls. Carnival was notified and it was cleaned up 24 hours later. Very disgusting! Bathrooms all over the ship were filthy, the band on the Lido Deck wouldnt start playing most days until about 5pm. I will say though they are very talented group of guys. Drinks were shoved in your face and I was extremely pressured to always buy them, sometimes I said no but sometimes I didnt hee hee . But anyways you would walk on the Lido Deck and pass 5 people in a row trying to get you to buy drinks. One actually woke me up on the lawn chair to ask if I wanted a drink. I was always extremely polite but it was driving me nuts. Photographers kept shoving the camera in are faces and making us hold a bouy at dinner, or just about everywhere else on the ship. One lady even got mad because I told her no thanks. I didnt not want a bouy over my head while I was eating filet mignon. Talk about germs. There were never clean tables when we went to eat, and halls were full of room service trays sometimes for hours and hours.

Overall Carnival just wasnt winning me over. I still had a great time on my cruise despite the weather, and most of the staff was nothing but friendly. We loved Celebrity and realize it was a step up from Carnival, but it is not always in my budget unless they have sales. We really want to try Royal Carribean. I dont mind crowds, or a bunch of kids as we try to book while kids are in school. Anyone have any opinions if Royal is a little better then Carnival? Their ships look awesome.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:07 AM

A LOT better!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:48 AM

We have cruised both RC and Carnival. No comparison...RC is better,ship wise and treatment wise.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM

The problem is you picked an old, tired ship. The drink pressure happens on RCCL too, but I think overall the service is better than Carnival. On those cheap, short trips, the clientele is often some guy who won an award for selling the most batteries at his hardware store, etc. I was on the sister ship, Sensation, once and hated it. If you have a limited budget, look at the Enchantment for a 5 day cruise. The ship has been refurbished and is very nice. However, go on one of the Eagle class ships (Navigator, Mariner) for a real treat. The secret to saving money is when you book...not in summer, spring break or holidays. Best deals are Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb (except holidays) and May.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I personally prefer RCI to Carnival as I feel their ships are a bit classier and very well maintained.

I would avoid Eagle class as they feel more like a convention hotel than a cruise ship and attract too many families.

IMO, the Radiance class on RCI is the best of the fleet and the closest you will come to Celebrity but the dining room food and service are nowhere close.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM

I disagree about avoiding Eagle Class and in fact I would go one step further and try the Freedom.
More to see and more to do and experience and that's before you even get off the ship.

A ship which "attracts families"..what's the matter with that unless you are bothered by the presence of children.

I think you'll find there is no comparison between Carnival and RCCl. I have never, ever been on any ship where the pressure to spend was the level we experienced on our one and only Carnival cruise.

And I did not feel the emphasis on safety was nearly as good on Carnival as I've experienced on other cruise ships.