Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Century, Carnival victory or RCCL Voyager?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:59 PM
bruno

Hello,<BR><BR>Surprisingly, I found all those ships around the same price for April 26 or 27 2003 7 nights western carribean.<BR><BR>What are pros and cons of each?<BR><BR>I will be there with my girlfriend and we are 21 and 22. I am not looking for crazy parties, but do not want to be with grandparents either.<BR><BR>Does celibrity offer more in terms of free softdrinks? or alcool?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Paul Therault

Too many variables Bruno.<BR><BR>It would take an hour to describe the pros and cons of each ship. <BR><BR>Quite a bit depends on your lifestyle. <BR><BR>Since the prices are just about all the same, talk to your travel agent who will match you up with a ship.<BR><BR>Taking a wild guess, I would say Century wouild be the best for you but do not expect free drinks and ultra-casual atmosphere.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Peter

Do some research on cruisecritic.com on the Voyager. You'll quickly see that that ship is the class of the three you mentioned.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Melissa

I sailed on the March Break sailing of the Century in 1999 (my March Break or spring break I think Americans call it). There were some people my age (at the time 22), but most were older. I went to the disco in the evening and there might have been 20 to 30 people there everynight. I had a blast anyway, but at the time it was an older crowd.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Mary

Paul: You may be able to help these folks. Doesn't Carnival have an age restriction, you have to be 25? The original author stated that he and his girlfriend are 21 and 22.<BR><BR>Bruno: You may want to check on the age restrictions on these cruise lines.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
anon

I know that Celebrity does have an age requirement of 25 years. Not sure, but am assuming that Carnival does not. One of the MANY reasons I would NEVER sail with Carnival!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Paul Therault

I believe Bruno knows this already but FYI two passengers in the room must be 21 or older for all three lines. If one is under 21 then the other must be 25 or older.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Avery

First I have sailed carnival when I was 23, in a group with no one over 24. That is the cruise line that I have found the most young people on. The key is sailing while the kids are in school, I sailed april 27 2002 on carnival the year before around the same time and had a great time on carnival. I have done research on the victory because i will be sailing in May with my girlriends.The victory's reviews are favorable. The other cruiselines are nice but do have a way older crowd. Go carnival and just smuggle some booze in water bottles in your suitcase. You may want to re think the wild parties, they are what you make them! The old people are inevidible. My friends and I got sat in the formal dining room with seven ladies over 60. It was a blast because we never made it to breakfast and the old timers never made it to the midnight buffet and every night we would joke about it.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
Sheila

We were on the Century last March and there were a bunch of 20 somethings, mostly college. Too many for my taste at 35. Most of the time, I'd agree that Celebrity is a crowd older than 21, but at times it get more like Carnival than typical Celebrity. <BR><BR>When I was 24 or so, went with a bunch of girls on a cruise and we had as much fun with the over 50 crowd as with the people our own age. Well except for the guy thing, of course.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
Theresa

I actually would suggest Voyager - it is an amazing ship.<BR><BR>None of the above offer free soft drinks.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:04 AM
CYA

Save your self some hassle. <BR><BR>1) Peter - never cruises most of the lines he is an authority on and always praises RCCL. There food is usually mediocre at best. And so is Peter.<BR><BR>2) Paul - another authority on cruise lines. Usually makes statements as fact. When in most cases are his personal opinion, which you find out later when other people start quoting the real facts. He is very biased and should be &quot;taken with a grain of salt&quot;.<BR><BR>3) Age - Money talks. Nex to committing a flagrant criminal act cruise lines will look the other way with just about anything if you have it.<BR><BR>4) Ask your travel agent the right questions. What hidden costs are there. Drinks, tipping (is it automatic or specified), extra activities (other than bingo etc..)<BR><BR>Bruno explore other oppurtunities outside of cruises as well. You may find your dollar goes farther, and they don't hide the cost of things.<BR><BR>CYA - you are spending a lot of money, and vacations only come once a year. Two if you are lucky.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Peter

CYA - so which of the three that bruno asked about do you recommend? If you don't have a recommendation - go to some other post.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:00 AM
CYA

Although I will admit to not cruising Celbrity I would have to go with them with the things I have read. They seem to more upscale even though I believe they are run by RCCL.<BR><BR>Seems to me Celebrity is the line that RCCL used to be.<BR><BR>Bruno, I would still ask very specific questions concerning hidden costs. Better to be prepared.