Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Carnival Corona Cruising--in January, out of Baltimore

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back at the very end of October, when cruising was freshly opened up, and things looked like they were getting better, I spied an absolutely awesome fare on a vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas on the Carnival Legend out of Baltimore on January 23.

So I checked the protocols, talked it over with the fam, checked that we could get that week off, and booked the three of us--myself (55), DH (56), and DS (26)--in an obstructed balcony for about $1500 for all three of us. For a week.

We are vaccinated, we are boosted, and DS and I work with the public anyway, so we weren't that concerned.

Enter Omicron.

We are still going. Carnival says they are still cruising, and they have tightened both the testing and masking requirements. We're all crossing our fingers than no-one pops an asymptomatic positive, or worse, actually gets the Rona between now and then. We have our tests booked, and since we're driving to the port, we figure our worst case is either a)we can't go, or b) one of us comes down with it and we spend our trip staring at the ocean from our balcony and eating room service, which is preferable to shoveling snow in Pennsylvania anyway.

We have decided to park at the port, but haven't yet decided if we're driving down the night before or that morning. That decision may be weather dependent, but I am scheduled until 6pm the night before we leave.

We're crossing our fingers that all will go well, but there's not much else we can do at this point. I suspect this isn't going to be a very crowded ship, but presumably it's still worth Carnival's while to run this cruise. I did join the Facebook group, and obviously some folks who posted had to cancel, but looks like most are still going.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Good luck.

I'm probably also going on my 5-day NCL Bliss cruise although still have a few days left to cancel. My issue is, I do not want to be stuck with FCC to use by the end of 2022 with everyone else. Good news is that the ship is currently only at 1400 passengers out of a capacity of 4000 (probably everyone that asked has been upgraded to a balcony or better.)

If I was booked on a cruise that offered a refund, I'd likely take it and bail.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Good luck.

I'm probably also going on my 5-day NCL Bliss cruise although still have a few days left to cancel. My issue is, I do not want to be stuck with FCC to use by the end of 2022 with everyone else. Good news is that the ship is currently only at 1400 passengers out of a capacity of 4000 (probably everyone that asked has been upgraded to a balcony or better.)

If I was booked on a cruise that offered a refund, I'd likely take it and bail.
They seem to be pretty resigned to cancellations for dates up to the end of January, but as far as I know it's FCC. We'd rather go anyway, and we figure it's probably no riskier than going to work for me and DS. Maybe a little more so for DH (he's in person, but he's not in front of the public).

Good luck with your cruise!
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 10:54 PM

Considering the surge now, and positivity rates, you are probably as safe on the cruise as on land. I am looking forward to hearing about it afterwards and hope you have a super great time!
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Considering the surge now, and positivity rates, you are probably as safe on the cruise as on land. I am looking forward to hearing about it afterwards and hope you have a super great time!
That's how we figure it, particularly since if I wasn't cruising, I'd be at work, literally putting my hands on unmasked strangers. We've got a lot more control over our interactions with the masked, vaxxed, and tested strangers on the cruise.
Thanks!
I'll update in a day or two, but we're starting to get packed.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

This is probably the last update before we go, since I don't feel like paying for Carnival's internet, but we are packed, decided that we are driving down early Sunday morning, and about to go get our tests.

Wish us luck.

We're really looking forward to this. I'll post lots when we get back.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by persimmondeb View Post
This is probably the last update before we go, since I don't feel like paying for Carnival's internet, but we are packed, decided that we are driving down early Sunday morning, and about to go get our tests.

Wish us luck.

Oh, I wish you the most good luck and lots of fun.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:50 PM

Good luck!!
I also drove myself to the port and got home this morning (5 day cruise).

Our cruise was 100% vaccinated and tested at the dock at boarding. We had only 1100 passengers on our cruise and 1700 staff. Staff was good at wearing masks, and were constantly cleaning.
Social distancing was only a problem at embarkation. "Our system is down". Result was several hundred people, not all of them wearing masks, crowding together waiting for their test results to upload. Then we crammed onto buses to be transferred from the tesing center to the ship, which was only a few hundred yards away. A few days into the cruise I overheard a conversation that a passenger had tested positive for COVID and was confined to her cabin, and her spouse was waiting for his results.

I brought a "COVID kit"..cough drops, Advil, thermometer, as well as masks.

Chances are you will not be the one in 1000 who comes down with the "rona.

Enjoy having someone else clean your room and do all the cooking!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by persimmondeb View Post

Wish us luck.

Oh, I wish you the most good luck and lots of fun.