Book early or wait for price drop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of booking a cruise with Celebrity (to the Carib.) for next spring and wondering if there's a benefit to booking now or trying to wait until the last minute to get a cheaper deal.
If it wasn't available then, that wouldn't be the end of the world - I'd make a different vacation plan, so as far as taking a gamble that's no problem.
I'm not an experienced cruiser (this will only be our 3rd) and am not sure of how pricing works. We just got a fabulous price on a spontaneous, last-minute Royal Carib. cruise to Bermuda a few weeks ago but I'm guessing spring cruises are different than fall (hurricanes, etc.) so maybe the last minute opportunities do not abound.
I've read of price-matching where the cruiseline will refund the difference if the price falls but I'm guessing that is a rarity??
Any advice on when to book? Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM

If a lower price becomes available, you will receive that rate. Even if it means refunding your credit card after final payment. The exception to this rule if if the new rate states "new bookings only". Some cruise lines have many new bookings only promos, but Celebrity rarely does. So for Celebrity, I would go ahead a book. Keep checking for sr. (if applicable) resident rates, other promos - on their site. Then if you see a lower rate, just call your travel agent to find if it is applicable.

You are right, spring break cruises usually book up well in advance - so less of a chance of a price drop - but so does everywhere! Good luck.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
katybird

I was always under the impression that one could get the lower rates ONLY BEFORE final payment. I thought once final payment is made that is the price you are paying.
GOSH! I hope you are right!

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM

It depends on the cruise line (and the promotion). That is why it is so important to have a travel agent that knows what they are doing.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM

Connette is right. I work for a cruise line, and there are many promos out there for people who live in select states, or people over 55, and the cruise line will happily refund the difference to you, per your travel agent's request. Just make sure you book with an agent who not only is experienced in what they are doing, but also one who wants to find you the lowest price without resenting that their commission will be reduced in the process. HOWEVER, it is very unlikely (not impossible) you will find a promo during spring break or other peak seasons, so book as early as possible because the price will go up.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:05 AM

How flexible is your schedule? We have to plan ahead for job and family reasons and try to book early. But when I retire I will book late and get the better deals. The other consideration is airfare. Booking late impacts air prices. If I had flexibility I would drive to ports
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Leslie, if you book early, you are guaranteed the room you want (or category) and your price will not go up. Until final payment is due, you can cancel and get a refund. If the price drops before final payment, you can take advantage of that, also - it has not been my experience that I was able to get a price drop AFTER final payment, however - depends on the cruiseline and individual situation - but don't bank on it.

I've also been able to get a rock bottom rate for last minute cruising, but all that was left were inside cabins and I don't always want to book inside --- I really do like a balcony. If you wait till the last minute, the prices may not drop and there may not be much choice of cabin left. But if that doesn't matter - maybe it's best to wait till last minute for the really good prices.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I think prices are going to go up. Now that the passport requirement has been delayed until 2009 and with lower interest rates & gas prices breathing life into the consumer sector, I think demand will increase.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM

triathlete, 2009?? - are you sure about that passport date?

The State Dept website still shows Jan 8, 2007 for air and sea, Jan 1, 2008 for land crossings:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Yes. The bill has passed congress--it just hasn't been signed by the president yet.

Amusingly, passports requirements for flying to the Caribbean, Mexico & Canada will be enforced as of 1/18/07--giving the cruise industry an advantage...
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 02:21 AM

IMO you should NEVER pay the so-called "brocure price" for any cruise.

Why? Because the cruise industry is vastly "overbuilt" and continues newbuilding. There are more berths sailing than there are people to fill them.

While I am not in any way against early booking or against booking directly with the cruise line I think you owe it to yourself to look at the possibility of booking your specific cruise/ship with at least two, if not three different cruise discounters.

You may be pleasantly suprised at the price differences you can find.

More and more cruise lines seem willing to cut out the travel agent (and their commission) from the process..even RCCL which used to insist you use a TA.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Sorry, Dukey, you are wrong. RCCL actually insist you use a travel agent more now: this is the first recording you can hear when you call them to book.
There is no analogy between cruise lines and air lines. Without travel agencies, cruise lines would sell just a small fraction of what they sell now.
They are happy to give the business to agents and not to perform any customer service, which is a huge time consumer. You can't compare it to air ticket sale: airlines passengers don't call them with millions questions on ports, transfres, insurance etc.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Sorry Dukey, you could not be more wrong. It is much more costly for the cruise lines to handle passengers than what they pay travel agents. You will also never get a group rate (available even if only 1-2 people booking), shipboard credit or any of the perks available only thru booking with an agent. You will also often find that the reservation agents working at the call centers, while usually very nice -often have never cruised, cruised once or twice and only on the cruise line they work for. Travel agents who specialize in cruises often have cruised most everything they sell, can be objective, know the ports and you save money. When you book direct - you do not get the commission that an agent would get off of your price??? It does not work that way.