December Cruise for elderly couple

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need recommendations for a December cruise for two elderly people who are fairly active but have problems with hot climates and rough seas. I realize one can't predict the weather on the ocean but I imagine there is a likelihood of fairly calm seas at certain times of the year. [ May be too much to hope for in December?] I had thought a Panama Canal cruise but I see that it is very hot there even in December. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM

For rough seas the best cabins are mid ship, the lower the better. In these cabins you are less likely to get sea sick in rough waters. The weather is warm all year in the Caribean but not as hot in winter months. The Panama Canal is a great cruise and you can watch going into the canal from an inside, airconditioned lounge. On deck you can find a spot with a breeze which is not hot. I would look into Holland America and Princess. They don't have as many young people on board.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Suerich68

Perhaps Alaska or Nova Scotia would be a better choice for climate. I think the Caribbean or Mexico would be pretty hot year round.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM

A European river cruise might be just the thing--no possibility of rough water or hot weather. I went on the Grand Circle Christmas markets cruise last December and had a wonderful time, but there are a number of others.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I agree with an Alaskan cruise (in the summertime when there are highs of 60 degrees) or a European river cruise like Uniworld or one of the others (which involves no seasickness worries and has a more mature guestlist).
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. The Xmas river cruise may be the answer.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM

My trip report about last December's Danube cruise is available on this site--it should be at Underhill's Danube Christmas Cruise.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM

There are no cruises to Alaska in the winter.

The Panama Canal is interesting but it is also quite hot.

Calm seas can never be guaranteed but that time of year I would advise staying away from the Mexican Riviera as the waters are rougher there; also avoid departures from NY and that general area.

If budget is not an issue, I suggest Crytal for their excellent service, food and activities, geared for the more mature traveller.

Otherwise, look at the smaller ships of HAL (NOT Vista class).

Early December is a time for great values and fewer families and one of my favorite times to travel.

If a longer cruise is an option, consider Oceania to South America.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Try this web site for weather info. Its very useful Good luck.
http://www.weatherbase.com/
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for your helpful advice. I had hoped for the Mexican Riviera to be a great solution as it would entail less flght time from the West Coast. I can't say that I'm surprised that the Pacific is rough in December but it seems to be such a popular cruise destination even at that time of the year! Must be that all the passengers are good sailors. Crystal Cruises are really high priced but look gorgeous. Unfortunately a longer cruise is not an option so may be the Chritmas Market Cruise will be the answer.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM

You're not limited to a Christmas Market cruise; there are a number of others, some of which include more stops.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:12 AM

pipsil, look at the Value Sailing on Crystal Serenity on 12/15. Great price on a fabulous ship!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:09 PM

How about the LA=Hawaii or San Diego-Hawaii cruise...the first with Celebrity and the second, with HA...we are doing the Celebrity on 12/23-1/7 to Hawaii and it sounds good to me!!
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Have you considered a river cruise? There are several that visit the Christmas markets in Germany. The weather will be cool, no rough seas, and they visit delightful places. I have lots of information about these trips, which I'll gladly share with you.
Sue